Range Report: 240 Grain Buffalo Bore 44 Magnum +P Deer Grenades

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mesinge2, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I shot all of them with my 629 Talo and have no more :( The shooting was done at 14 yards. The first video is me shooting in double Action. The second video is a guy that wanted to try the "loud booming gun"; his words. He shot in single action and upon getting screen shots I realized that he almost dropped the gun a few times!

The Deer Grenades have almost no flash out of the cylinder gap displayed by the 300 grain Nosler DoubleTap loads I tested but they do also make that ring of fire like the DoubleTap loads. :cool:

[​IMG]

VIDEO: .44 Mag S&W 629-6 Deluxe Talo Edition

[​IMG]

VIDEO: .44 Mag S&W 629-6 Deluxe Talo Edition Muzzle Flash

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I shoot in daylight mostly and you never really see that flame bursting out of the muzzle. Great pics.
  3. lead

lead Well-Known Member

Some pretty impressive stills. I like the fire rings. If the revolver was in focus that would be a wallpaper quality shot.
  4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Out of that short barrel you can't help but gets cool fire rings and flash.
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I have longer 44s but that shorttie 44 is my favorite. When I bought it, it had the worst trigger I have ever felt. So I sent it to S&W for the master revolver action package and for a fixed C&S extreme duty rear sight. Now, it's my little beast.
  6. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

MY friend bought the Ruger Alaskan in 460 or 480 I believe. The recoil was so strong the gun barrel kept hitting my baseball cap on the front bill after each shot. I would have loved to see that revolver shot in the light you did yours. It was truely a flame thrower.
  7. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I use the reduced recoil, 255 gr. Buffalo Bore in my 629. Are you aware that the suggested limit for the 629 is that 255 "Keith" round? 629's are known to rattle apart under the pressure of heavier rounds that were actually make for the cast steel Rugers etc.. They will jump time and before you know it the cylinder is going right back to the same empty casing every time you pull the trigger. It takes a gunsmith with some talent to get them back to proper working order after that. I've read lots of reports where people could not get their 629's working correctly after firing the heavy loads (like the +P loads). I would highly suggest that you search the net for information on this issue. I found out a lot at the S&W forum. I'm not trying to be a know it all. I'm not putting down your 629. I have one myself and I love it. I'm just trying to help someone avoid a problem with a nice gun. S&W's are great pistols that are very, very accurate. But they aren't as strong as the cast steel guns made by Ruger in particular. They just won't stand up to the same ammo. Buffalo Bore makes a big deal of having designed the Keith cartridge to work in the 329 Smiths but that wasn't the case not too long ago. They were hawking it as a dangerous game round suitable for use in any modern .44 magnum in good working order. It was no secret they meant the 629 at that time. I've seen evidence of that too. The reason they developed this round is because it is common knowledge tha the 629 revolvers just won't stand up to the same load the Rugers do.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don't know about the gun holding up to these rounds but the hand will not. I have been shooting the Remington 180 grain out of my Ruger Blackhawk to save my hand.

The heavier rounds were killing my hand. I just cant bring myself to shooting the 44 specials.
  9. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Thanks for the concern CJ_56, but I actually did do my research before I picked them up. I am a careful handgunner. I have a Ruger Redhawk for the "Ruger ONLY loads"

From Buffalo Bore's site (https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=72):

This load is designed to be safe in ALL/ANY, all steel firearms that are in normal operating condition. We do not recommend its use in lightweight alloyed revolvers as the bullets may jump the crimp.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  10. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

cool pics i especially liked that orange ring when you fired