The Firearms Forum banner

Range Report - 4000MR Powder

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rawright54 
#1 ·
I finally got out to the range today with a friend to test the loads I put together using 4000 MR powder from Alliant. I loaded some 100 gr GSSP (Speer # 1222) bullets with 41 grains, and some with 42 grains. I tried both in my BLR, but with iron sights, I really couldn't see any difference. My friend's bolt action had excellent results with the 41 gr loads, but she really had the best performance from some rounds I loaded earlier using Reloder 15 at 32.5 gr. Those she shot at 200 yds with a 1-1/2" - 2" group centered on the bull, once she got her scope dialed in. I'd call that some pretty nice shooting for a girl who hasn't fired her rifle in 8 - 10 years!

I spent most of the day trying to get the scope sighted in on my .30-06 BAR using 150 gr Remington factory ammo. I've still got some work to do in that area, but later in the afternoon I switched to handloads using 180 gr bullets and 54 gr of 4000 MR powder. That vastly improved my grouping, down from "what, I missed the entire thing again?" to about a 6" pattern that's got to be due to my lack of practice. My next-to-last set was within 2" of the bull, with a group size of about 1-1/2' at 100 yds. My last set was 4 shots without a rest, directed at a steel target 200 yards downrange and about 12" in diameter. I whacked it with the last three shots.

All in all, I think the 4000 MR is a good powder choice for .243 and .30-06, but I'd still prefer to have some more Reloder 15 available. When I have time to dial in my scope better, I plan to embark on a ladder test journey to find exactly what works best in both my favorite rifles, and I think the 4000 MR is going to find a comfy niche there. For now, though, my poor shoulder could use some rest. That BAR absorbs a lot of the recoil, but 100 rounds still leaves a body sore, especially one that started the day with an aching shoulder!

Oh, and just for giggles, we took our shotguns - hers a brand new Remington 870, and mine a cheapo Mossberg from Big 5 Sporting Goods, and both in 20 ga - out to the trap area and tried trap shooting for the first time. I missed all but 1 in the first five, but hit 4/5, 5/5, 5/5, and 5/5 for the balance. I think I could learn to enjoy this!:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a very good day. I've seen the 4000 powder available on various websites but didn't know it was a rifle powder. Can you tell us if it's a stick powder or ball?

For giggles (and if you can find it) you might try IMR 4350 in both of your rifles. It's my go-to for .243 and 30-06,

#3 ·
Sounds like a very good day. I've seen the 4000 powder available on various websites but didn't know it was a rifle powder. Can you tell us if it's a stick powder or ball?

For giggles (and if you can find it) you might try IMR 4350 in both of your rifles. It's my go-to for .243 and 30-06,
The 4000MR (and 2000MR) are spherical powders. I prefer the Reloder 15 because it gives good performance in all three of my rifles - .243, .30-30, and .30-06, and the 4000MR is only tested for two of them. Since the 2000MR is rated as a Medium Rifle powder, I'm thinking it might be better for the .30-30. I do have the IMR 4350 on my list of things to buy when my usual is out of stock, but I haven't tried it yet. I've also got 3031 on my list for the same purpose, and one of the guys at the range told me he shots all three that I have, and uses 3031 on all of them with excellent results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.