Range Report -.45 ACP Springfield XDm-45

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by mesinge2, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I just bought this on Friday:
    My .45 ACP Springfield Armory XDm-45  1.jpg
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=79274

Got to shoot it today. I've got to tell ya I was always of the mind set that I would never own a tupperware gun, but was I wrong! The first thing I noticed shooting it was that is was surprisingly soft shooting, however the grip was small. I have odd bear-paw hands and I had to swap out the backstrap to the largest size at the range.

After the swap, the gun felt like my Colt Combat elite with the arched housing only thicker. I brought an assortment of Hollow Point ammo just in case it didn't like something. I WASTED MY MONEY! It shot Speer GD, Hornady XTP+P, and Corbon JHP+P just like it was FMJ ammo. And as for accuracy, well look at this target from 14 yards:

Group from XDm 1.jpg
    Group from XDm 2.jpg
    My .45 ACP Springfield Armory XDm-45  5.jpg
    Above is a CORBON JHP

I had it loaded to 13+1 and I can only see 11, maybe 12 holes. Which means that 2 to 3 rounds went through the same holes. I shot a total of 310 rounds of which 60 were hollow points and the rest were Magtech FMJ and Winchester FMJ (the light ones that look like JSWCs). After all that I was amazed at how soft shooting it was, It makes my Defender seem like a torture device.

Not a jam

I could not be happier with this gun. My only complaint is that my Colt is going to get lonely!
  2. lucky-gunner

lucky-gunner New Member

mesinge2,

Congrats on your new firearm. I almost picked one up today but went with the 9mm version. Now I want to go back and get the 45 too, :).

I'm curious what made you make the jump to a "Tupperware" gun? I've been hearing a lot of the holdouts finally picking up a polymer gun (of some type), and I'm curious what made you take the jump.

Steven@LG
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats, looks and sounds like you had yourself a very enjoyable day !!
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

First time out with a new pistol, awesome.
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I guess I just wanted a change. The only pistols I have ever owned were either 1911s, Berettas (92, M9, 84), or CZ-75s. I was curious to see what all the fuss was about
  6. MagnumFan

MagnumFan Former Guest

Nice looking pistol, I think I need one. :D