Range Report Burris Fastfire Red Dot

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Apr 13, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I also took the Ruger Hunter to the range with me today. I love the gun. I purchased a Burris Fastfire Red Dot for it a couple years back. I have had it on the gun then off then back on a couple of times. I like everything about the sight except for the fact that the intensity is not adjustable. I shoot from a roofed over table most of the time and the shade from the roof causes the intensity to increase too much for my liking. Under that roof even today with bright sun shine outside the red dot was so intense that it cover 2/3 of the three inch bull at a range of 50 feet. If you try to reach out to say 50 yards it covers so much of the target as to just not be practical. But to be fair, if I move out from under the roof shade the intensity drops and the sight is great. One big plus is that it did not lose zero when I took it off put in the box and then months later got it out put it back on the gun and fired away. A good red dot sight, I just wish I could adjust the intensity.

The two targets were fired from 50' using a two hand bench rest. Ammo was CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr. RN.

Todd
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

that's my next gun thats a red dot on there
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Nice job Todd, I've been wondering about those red dot scopes. I might just try them. Do you think they work well for someone who has very poor vision? I need magnification.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Leader, my 72 year old eyes was the reason I got the red dot in the first place. The nice thing about it is no more front sight/rear sight alignment. Just put that red dot on what you want to hit and bingo. Because of my disappointment of the way it performed under my shaded table I picked up an AIM Red Dot because it has an adjustable intensity. It is a cheap sight at $39.95 but really I can't complain too much about it's performance. It has just the opposite problem in that in bright sun light it could use a bit more intensity. But for that price I can't bitch very much. I have had no problem with that AIM but with two sights and one gun what to do? So I have the Burris on now. Short ranges out to say 25 yards in the shade is fine with the Burris. With the AIM in the shade you start to get real brave and start plinking away at 100 yards and that is fun. Can't do that with the Burris as the dot covers a foot or more of the target at that disance.

There are a bunch of red dots on the market and I don't know squat about them.
  6. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice and additional info. I'll givem a try soon.