Range Report - Chiappa 1911-22

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by gdmoody, Apr 3, 2010.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I was over at my local candy store yesterday and he had this little number that caught my eye. I had read a story on them a few weeks ago so I thought I would go ahead and get it. I didn't know whether to put this in the 1911 forum or the .22 forum but I decided this one to be the "winner".

I compared it to both my Rock Island 1911 and to the Taurus 1911. The Chiappa weighs 32.8 ounces empty. The Taurus weighed 1/2 ounce more and the RIA weighed 5.8 ounces more (I have a rubber wrap around grip on the RIA). The weight is comparable to a .45ACP 1911. The feel of it in my hand is exactly like any other 1911 that I have held. By comparing the looks of it side by side with the RIA, I don't think you would be able to tell that it is not a .45ACP. The basic functions are pretty much the same as on a .45.

I fired it form 10 yards with 5 different types of ammo. I shot 10 rounds of Remington Thunderbolt, PMC Sidewinder, Blazer, and CCI Mini-mag. I only shot 5 rounds of the Aguila SSS ammo because of the FTF and they were keyholing. I have attached scans of the targets that I used for the comparison (failures are in the upper left hand corner). I think that it will function much better with a plated bullet over the lead ones. I can't say which ammo is the most accurate because I was shooting freehanded and I am not as steady as I used to be.

I found the pistol to be fun to shoot but I do not like the trigger pull as it is. A few times it felt as if the safety engaged and I had a very hard time pulling the trigger. Hopefully this will work itself out the more I fire it as I did notice a difference after firing 30 or so rounds.

EDIT: PS, I gave $265 + tax for it.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Great range report. Neat pistol and dang! you can't complain about the price. You can't buy a conversion unit for what you have in the total package. Bet you will work out any glitches that come with a new gun and find just what it likes ammo wise. No need to apologize for those off hand shots, they look pretty good to me.
  3. wpage

wpage New Member

Nice gun!
    Bring those groups up a bit and your in business...
  4. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

I fired one of those and it also had a rough trigger at times. For the money that gun can't be beat. I wonder if that slide is compatible with other 1911s You can't buy a comversion kit for 265 and tax. I think you did real good GD
  5. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

The more I read on this weapon the more I want to get one.

Great report. Keep us posted
  6. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

We have had three of them in our shop.......notice I said "had". We put them in the guncase one day and they are gone the next. Those that have bought them have had good things to say as well. The only thing that they have all complained about is the trigger pull. If we get another in I plan to tear it down to see if a trigger job of some sort can be performed.

tex45acp
  7. gdmoody

That would be great. Keep us informed on it, if you can perform a trigger job, I will talk to a gunsmith about doing one on mine, if it is snot cost prohibitive.

I put about 300 rounds through mine again yesterday. The trigger continues to be pretty bad even after what the owner's manual calls a break in time (which the book says is 200 rounds). It is still very much fun to shoot, even with the horrible trigger!
  8. gdmoody

Junk, To answer your wonderings about the slide compatibility. They are absolutely NOT compatible. The similarity in external appearances is where it ends. Once you compare a "real" 1911 slide to the Chiappa, you immediately see the differences. The very first thing you notice is the absence of the barrel lockup grooves. The slide itself is very thin metal and the slide to frame "grooves" are worlds apart in size.
  9. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Ty GD, I guess they made this gun for a reason. I did like the one I shot and still at that price what a fun piece of equipment for just that, Having fun!

Have you ever looked into having that trigger worked on? Would it be worth the money?

The one I did shoot the trigger didn't seem as though it was like a normal trigger. It was just a hard snap sort of like it was hanging up but not on every shot. There was never a nice feeling to the trigger kind of hard to explain.
  10. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

Out of curiousity, how do those of you who have older (WW2 & before) 1911's find the Chiappa??

I was thinking it's oddly similar to the original, a little rough around the edges, but a good working pistol.

I do believe they need to Parkerize these instead of painting...the paint kinda makes me gag a little...
    but other than that, I like 'em :)
  11. gdmoody

Shrek, I'm glad you brought this back up. I agree that they would look better parkerized but the paint is not all that terrible.

I have now put between 400 and 500 rounds through it and the trigger pull is not much better. The first shot from each magazine feels like the safety is on and then it is better for the other nine. This month's American Rifleman magazine has a short article about it. It says that the trigger gets much better after a couple of thousand rounds so I have something to look forward to.
  12. glenncal1

glenncal1 New Member

AR also says they are changing the metals in the trigger (can't remember exactly how) and that should make for a better trigger. If looking to buy, might want to get the "new" trigger.
  13. pawn

pawn New Member

American Rifleman had a review of this pistol. Thanks for posting your experience with it.
  14. tekarra

tekarra New Member

Thanks for the report. Guess I will have to mosey by the store this weekend.
  15. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i was pawing at one of these in my local shop, i was waiting to see some real world reviews before throwing my money down. i do not trust gun magazines even the american rifleman magazine to give a honest evaluation , since these magazines count on gun companies paying for ads. any way thank you for the review keep us posted :)
  16. Jay

Jay New Member

I too would be interested to know if a trigger jobe is doable.... let us know....