Range Report - Cold Bore/Fouled Bore

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Two shots this time; it's like a double report! ;)

2 shots, 2 Inch Target, 30-06 at 300 Yards

Yesterday when I shot the 3 inch target I had the scope set to hit at 300 yards with a fouled bore. I aimed a little high about right at the top of the target but it still just grazed the bottom. From past experience, I figured it should have hit closer to the center.

Usually my cold bore shot is 1/4moa lower than a fouled bore shot; (3/4" at 300 yards,) I have been cleaning the rifle a little differently by cleaning the copper every 20 or so shots instead of every shooting session. Maybe that has effected my cold/fouled bore POIs.

So today I figured I would test to see where my POIs are, (without cleaning the copper,) by taking a cold bore shot, then a fouled bore shot with the same POA. Sure enough, the POI was about a 1moa difference.

I am going to try again tomorrow to see if I get the same results, then try again the next time I have 2 cartridges, but that time I will clean out the copper.

Rifle: Howa 1500, 30-06
    Scope: Nikko Stirling Diamond
    Bullet: Hornady 180gr SP
    Powder: IMR 4831
    Primer: Remington 9 1/2
    Case: Winchester
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Cool indeed. Thanks for sharing as I do enjoy following your sessions.

Todd
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here! I just love the fact you go to so much trouble to video, and post these tests! Any time you post I always check it out, even if I don't comment. Keep up the good work. I have a feeling that some day all of your work will make you a known shooter.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    thanks for info,i too enjoy your reports.remember also that temp,humity,ammo temp are also factors to take in to account. old semperfi
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

The one thing about my last 4 or so days of shooting were the conditions were almost exactly the same, down to the barometric pressure.

I think I am just missing though; today my shots landed less than 1/2" difference in height. The wind was a little tricky so I didn't hit the target but was on either side of it.

I loaded more ammo and cleaned the copper out so next time I'll see what happens. Hopefully I am just missing; it could be the brass too so I am keeping my eye on the two that hit low.

Thanks, it is good to know that people are reading the posts! :)