Range Report - Cold Bore/Fouled Bore

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jun 24, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Two shots this time; it's like a double report! ;)

2 shots, 2 Inch Target, 30-06 at 300 Yards

Yesterday when I shot the 3 inch target I had the scope set to hit at 300 yards with a fouled bore. I aimed a little high about right at the top of the target but it still just grazed the bottom. From past experience, I figured it should have hit closer to the center.

Usually my cold bore shot is 1/4moa lower than a fouled bore shot; (3/4" at 300 yards,) I have been cleaning the rifle a little differently by cleaning the copper every 20 or so shots instead of every shooting session. Maybe that has effected my cold/fouled bore POIs.

So today I figured I would test to see where my POIs are, (without cleaning the copper,) by taking a cold bore shot, then a fouled bore shot with the same POA. Sure enough, the POI was about a 1moa difference.

I am going to try again tomorrow to see if I get the same results, then try again the next time I have 2 cartridges, but that time I will clean out the copper.

Rifle: Howa 1500, 30-06
    Scope: Nikko Stirling Diamond
    Bullet: Hornady 180gr SP
    Powder: IMR 4831
    Primer: Remington 9 1/2
    Case: Winchester

2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Central, Ohio
    Cool indeed. Thanks for sharing as I do enjoy following your sessions.

Todd

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Same here! I just love the fact you go to so much trouble to video, and post these tests! Any time you post I always check it out, even if I don't comment. Keep up the good work. I have a feeling that some day all of your work will make you a known shooter.

4. thanks for info,i too enjoy your reports.remember also that temp,humity,ammo temp are also factors to take in to account. old semperfi

5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman Active Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Ohio
    The one thing about my last 4 or so days of shooting were the conditions were almost exactly the same, down to the barometric pressure.

I think I am just missing though; today my shots landed less than 1/2" difference in height. The wind was a little tricky so I didn't hit the target but was on either side of it.

I loaded more ammo and cleaned the copper out so next time I'll see what happens. Hopefully I am just missing; it could be the brass too so I am keeping my eye on the two that hit low.

Thanks, it is good to know that people are reading the posts! :)