Range Report - Finally

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by gdmoody, Dec 7, 2009.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I finally made it out to the range this morning to do some shooting. I took four other people with me so I did not get to shoot as much as I would have liked too, but we did have a great time. I forgot to take my camera, so there aren't any pictures to share.

I finally got to fire my new Springfield M1A and two 1911s, a Rock Island Armory that I bought from my local gun shop and a compact Citadel that I bought from Double D.

I was not happy with my shooting with the M1A, I had a few ammo problems.:( I bought some aftermarket magazines that aren't worth the bullet it would take to shoot them.:mad:

I fired the Citadel first with great results. I was shooting at a 5 inch round Shoot-n-c target at 15 yards with hand loaded 230 grain ball ammo. It took me a few rounds to get used to the very light trigger, at least I thought it was very light for a 1911. Once I got used to the trigger, I fired seven rounds into one large jagged hole about 1.5 inches to the left of the center. I did the same thing a couple more times so I knew it wasn't a fluke.:D:D Dan, I love this pistol!

Next, I fired the RIA with some fair results. I was still shooting the same ammo at a 5 inch target at 15 yards. The first eight rounds were in a great group but were about 6 inches to the right of the target. Once I figured that out, I adjusted my point of aim to the left and was tearing up the target. I did not have any tools with me so I couldn't tap the rear sight over any. Next time I go to the range I will take my brass hammer and punches with me. This pistol had a lot of potential and I may add a few bells and whistles to it, as time and funds permit!.

The way the 1911s shot made up for the terrible time I was having with the M1A. And I think everyone who went with me had a good time. I provided most of the guns and all of the ammo. It was a costly little trip, but, hey I've got a bunch of .223, .308, 30-06, and .45 brass to reload now!!;)
  2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Sounds like a good day. I believe Jacksonco just got a citadel too. I looked at those here and the slide was so hard to move, The guy told me it was milled tight and needed to break in. I told him to let someone else break it in. Kind of wished I had got it now from two good reports on them.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Funny thing about the .45, once you get em turned up, they shoot like a rifle, close up.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

George, I shot the citidel so I know. That trigger is light. Much lighter than the average 1911 out of the box. Its almost as if a trigger job was done to it at the factory. I like it. And I am glad you do too. Glad you got some time off to hit the range and thanks for the report!