Range Report for gdmoody

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by American Leader, Dec 27, 2011.

1. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Well George, I finally got around to loading some of those bullets I won from you this fall. As I had expressed to you I always wanted to try some of these so here's how it went. First of all, the bullets used are Sierra MatchKing .30 Cal. 168 grain HPBT. I loaded them with 50.5 grains of Varget (one of my favorite powders), and I'm sorry George cause I know you recommeded something else but it's hard to break old habits. I bought a .30-06 Savage Axis off a fella this summer to throw in the pickup just to kick around with because I didn't want to leave my good 06 in the truck unattended, too expensive:rolleyes:. One of the Savage cheapos the guy bought and then didn't like it, NIB and great deal:p. Put an old Tasco scope I had laying around on it because you all know I'm half blind:(. Got to the range and the wind was blowin and pretty cold out too:bleh:. Tried to site in and remembered the scope had the windage knob lose and I didn't have a small enough allen wrench to tighten it down so kinda had to play around with it to get any movement out of it at all:mad:. So, the bad news is I had a lot of difficulty today, but the good news is that cheapo Axis must love them Sierra MatchKing 168 grs. & Varget combo because I only needed a dime to cover those 3 shot groups:eek:! Not bad for an old blind fat man with a cheapo gun & scope combo. Thanks again George for your wonderful gift! Your pal AL:D
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56224&stc=1&d=1325043007
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56225&stc=1&d=1325043007

Attached Files:

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice shootn AL. Thats money right there.
  3. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

nice shooting! What distance were you shooting at?
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Mercy, fat, blind, cheap gun, and a broken scope. I wonder what you might do if you were skinny, could see and had some good equipment.:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:
  5. American Leader

Very funny Todd, you should know all about getting OLD!:D 100 yards Grizz, I'm not sure I can see out past that. I have to use a high power scope the way it is:rolleyes:
  6. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

You cant ask for much more than bullet holes touching at 100 yards. Good shootin!
  7. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Nice shooting!
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice shooting AL ! Dime size groups on the first load is incredible! Found yourself a winner there.
  9. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

Savage might be less expensive but otherwise your just paying for the name for other rifle brands. Savage is the most accurate rifles on the market. Good Shooting.
  10. American Leader

Thanks guy's for all the nice words. And as far as Savage goes gun runner, I like'em, but some folks say you get what you pay for. In this case "no frills" just hole on hole on hole, I think I can handle that! I know a very nice fellow who owns a Savage 22Mag with accu trigger and can drive tacks with it. Savage makes very good rifles, period.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If they are shooting that good, I want em back!:D :rolleyes:

That is some good shooting AL and I am glad that you are happy with the bullets.
  12. American Leader

I assume you want them loaded!:eek:hmygosh:NOT:crazy: Thanks again George
  13. garydude

garydude Member

Super nice Leader! Woohoo- crazy good.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

Dang, AL, you got me all misty-eyed here! Sweet shootin'! :D
  15. American Leader

Heck Juker, fellas who live as long as we do have to get lucky once and awhile! I'm thinkin I kinda am liken them SMK 168 grs. though. May have to breakdown and buy some, don't think George will be giving me anymore now that he's asking for them back!:dance: