1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

>>>Range Report<<<KAHR PM9 *****

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Woodman, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Five star rating. Got the sites down by the fifth shot, @ 7 yards.
    Also shoots great using point-to-aim, but holding it down too low puts a little pressure on the wrist.

The size is extremely manageable, even though the pinky is under the mag.

Shot 70-80 rounds through this compact 9mm. 100%
    Used a combination of premium JHP, ball, and plinking JHP.

Cletus has the same gun in .40S&W. That is probably a handful. There is a 10" x 6" fireball shooting out with 9mm; the larger caliber must be a flame-thrower.

Cletus also remarked of a 200+ break-in. This 9mm caliber was recommended by a Kahr repairman over the .40; the slightly smaller caliber may match the small gun more compatibly. The manual mentions a 200-round break-in.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Kahr makes excellent pistols. I know several folks who have them and I've heard nothing but praise. I've not gotten one yet, but its nice to have your report in case I do.
    They look very ergonomic and perfect for concealed carry. They do cost a bit more, but one has to pay for quality. Enjoy it.
  3. Woodman

Woodman New Member

http://www.kahr.com/pistols_PM9094.html

Ahh! You found me slipping this post off the beaten track! :D

Yes, they cost (gulp) almost as much as a _______________.

Shorter slim guys know the problem I face. I've confronted a dozen gun store managers who want to sell me a gun. "But where am I gonna hide it?", I ask, after detailing exactly what I want. Maybe an invisibility holster? I'd have to conjure that one up in a Hollywood studio (actually, the Harry Potter movies are filmed in England).

It is WAY slimmer than my Tomcat; a better word is flat;
    two calibers higher (9mm vs. 7.65mm); a very tight little handgun.

A fledgling FFL (forum member) sold it to me for $610 + $20 shipping.
    My FFL charged $20 + $20. (List is $737, but only one guy stocks them about these parts, and he had the MK9, all stainless @ list price).

The identical model in stainless is 8 oz. heavier.
    http://www.kahr.com/pistols_M9098.html

And the Inox Tomcat it replaced? Looks like it is getting traded for a Remington 597 17HMR Laminated Stock w/ BSA Contender Scope.
  4. Remington597

Have fun with the trades, thats whats its all about. This is truly a great hobby.
  5. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Thanks for the info Woody. I like to hear about personal experiences people have with their firearms.
  6. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Sometimes, when I can't sleep, I get up and open the safe. I'll take up my Colt or Para and break it down, give the parts a general inspection (not sure what I'm looking for :D ) for abnormal wear, wipe it down, and re-assemble.

:D :D :) :p :p

A cool thing. The stop is designed to snap off easily when a loaded mag is inserted, but be very hard to push down on an empty mag. After reading this, I don't force the stop, but rather pull the slide back slightly to drop the slide stop.

The handgun is DAO, 8~9#. I found it SO MUCH easier to keep on target than my SP-101.

On my fifth shot, I plastered some 4" ceramic thing at the dump, @ ... maybe 25 feet. I had someone spotting for me, to tell me where my first few shots were going. The sights are way more intuitive than on some ...ahem... other guns I've owned.

The slide stop and mag release, along with the trigger, are the only controls on it. No safety (don't pull the trigger) and no de-cock, since it is DAO. And it is CA-approved, so you know the Sacramento Zoo again allowed a loaded gun in with the chimpanzees. A four-hour test in the House of Primates costs $4000 per gun, and I didn't hear of any recent fatalities among their inmates (inmates = people living in close proximity to one another. Used frequently by Dickens to describe boarders in a rooming house; here to describe the cage full of chimps; remember the old Samsonite luggage commercials of Yesteryear? That's the CA gun drop'n'fling test)
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  7. Remington597

So you play with your guns late at night also. I am glad I am not the only one. Its alot of fun. I broke down and reassembled an EAA .223REM Saiga the other night. Its fun playing with Kalashnikovs.
    The other night. , I broke down and cleaned a Intratec Protec .25ACP and had alot of fun.
    Sometimes, I'll also load extra magazines at night. I love to clean magazines too and use GunkOut on them to get the filth out. I love to look at exploded diagrams. In fact, I collect exploded diagrams. I look at exploded diagrams as works of art. My family thinks I'm nuts. They're probably right.
  8. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Tell them you study the isometric drawings for a better understanding mechanical operating systems, to be applied in cross-funtional work-related job advancement.

Saw my first AK-47; wait, it was a Michell M-90. michell got stuck with a load of them, and had to scratch out the model numbers and engrave something more non-threatening. They welded on a plate to keep you from dropping the lever into full-auto.
  9. Remington597

isometric drawings. I like it, although it may confuse them all the more, but as long as we are having fun. :)
  10. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Test #2

Had to bump the slide on a fresh mag once in a while; I could see my flat-nosed break-in ammo resting on the feed ramp; not worried about it; it was only on a couple of times. I am still shooting rather quickly, and use both the six-round and the seven-round magazines; the heat, however, seems allright. Accuracy is dead-on. I shoot at three to fifteen yards. At five yards, a novice could hit a 12 ounce coffee cup, I'd bet. At that distance, I was connecting with most twigs and spent shotgun-shells.

I'd give it a 100% this trip out. The first round will be in the chamber usually, and the only time I had to bump was getting the first round in.
  11. oldguy

oldguy New Member

Are you using the slide stop as a release on first round.? I have the MK9
    and noticed the first round goes in slow, i believe the short slide and tight
    mag spring put enough pressure to slow the process. Pull slide back and
    release, as a side note I used lots of FP10 during break in seems to make
    a difference.
  12. Remington597

Don't load your magazine to full capacity. I always load mine -2 of full capacity. It reduces jams and feeds better. Always carry a second loaded clip.
  13. Woodman

Woodman New Member

What's FP10?
    I do NOT use the slide stop, but I'd bet that would push that first round in.

I have had ZERO FTF, FTE, or any B.S. except that first round sometimes.
    The self-defense ammo has a more rounded bullet, and I was not shooting that this time.
  14. oldguy

oldguy New Member

Fp10 is a very good lube, works great on tight guns, after 40 years of buying different products I now use this for cleaning barrel and lube.
    Here is the website(http://www.fp10.com/)

As the other poster suggested try 5 rounds only in mag, the pm9 is very short overall and on first round it is hard to get enough spring tension to
    strip bullet from mag because when you pull back release it is slower then
    the normal action of shooting would be. The hollow points(widenose) sometimes depending on design cause more friction on ramp slowing things
    down. I found that by using an aircompressor to clean after shooting and
    using fp10 just about elimates all feeding failures in my autos. The small Kahr
    pistols are very close tolerance so small pieces of brass, dirt, etc can effect
    function.
  15. Woodman

Woodman New Member

Did another 50 last night, I'm at about 220. The gun has been 100%. The first round feeds pulling the slide or by releasing the slide stop. NOT A SINGLE JAMB. To that, I'm really impressed. It took almost 1000 rounds to get two other guns perform this way.

The former concerns about "shavings" of polymer within the gun are mute - it is not showing no signs of wear. I've had it out four times now. The third and fourth were the ones that sold me on the gun, and I've just ordered the stainless model, the MK9.

I fired a combination of ammo; Speer JHP, Winchester JHP "practice", a generic FMJ ,made here in CA, some premium. I can feel different powder loads easily between them, but not a single feeding or ejection problem.

I measured the main recoil spring. 2 7/16"

This I shall keep an eye on. I've heard you must switch them out at 1600, others said 500, and I saw a photo of one which was twisted about unnaturally, it seemed to me.