Range report on my first every reloads

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1911Man, Mar 15, 2010.

1. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

I posted this info last night, but for some reason it was "moved." Hmm..

Anyway, took my Springfield Loaded Stainless 1911 .45ACP to the range yesterday and fired my first reloads:

200g LSWC
    4.6 of HP-38
    COAL of 1.25"
    Case mouth of .470".

The first round fired off fine, then I had a bit of a problem with chambering. I simply removed my mag and dropped out the cartridge, reloaded my mag and I was off and running. I had made 90 of them to take and fired off just 50. They all chambered perfectly. I did one in rapid fire and that went fine as well. I feel proud as mine worked. I've read so much, asked questions on here and other forums and have received such great info and feedback, watched Youtube.com videos, my RCBS video, and just talked to people at my local range but it really all came to fruition yesterday. I left that range with my chest out a bit and I walked taller. Life is good in St. Louis with this reloader. Thank you all for your feedback and answers to my questions.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I have reloaded for over 45 years, off and on. I remember the first ammo I reloaded, too, (32 Winchester Special for a Winchester Model 94) in about 1963. I have reloaded tens of thousands of rounds since then but I still like looking at my freshly reloaded ammo all shinny and bright. There is something to making things, which I spent a working lifetime doing as an engineer and a lifetime of building motorcycles (restoring, maintaining updating, modifying). It's all a rush to me.

LDBennett
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Congrats :cool: It only gets better from this point !!
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Way to go. Nothing wrong with puffing that chest a bit when you complete a job well done. And another at a boy for doing all the research "before" you jumped to make that first round.
  5. sorral

sorral New Member

Congrats!:D
    I have loaded 500 rounds of .45acp, but it was on my buddy's setup, a progressive press. All I had to do was supply componants and pull a handle 500 times. I now have my own press, and have loaded 100 rounds by myself, and can not wait for good weather to test fire a few. :cool:
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

where you been woolley? Aint seen ya for a time...
  7. mikld

mikld Active Member

Yer Hooked! Yeah, reloading is very satisfying! Reminds me of my first reloads in 1969, 38 special with Bullseye put together with a Lee Loader, shot them in a 3" Rossi (POS). I made up several hundred that way before I got a Lee Handloader. Wow, memories; about that same time I knew a redhead named Ginger...:D
  8. DGG!

DGG! New Member

Well done! You need to post some targets to show us how accurate those loads are. I want pictures!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeah pics would be good;)
  10. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Pics? Not possible. I threw the targets away. THOUGH, I'm bangin' Saturday morning and you'll get some. How far away should I be shooting from?
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

25 yds. and take your time and give us some good groups... No shooter error here. then do some speed drills at 7 and 15 yds. post pics of those as well. thatll let us know how well you manage the loads in your weapon;) have fun:) If you think your good enough do a speed drill at 25 yds too. thats a 75 foot shooting scenario. well beyond the distance youd likely need to engage a threat...
  12. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'm new to both shooting and reloading, but it will be interesting to see what I can do.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and fun too...;)
  14. Hanover67

Hanover67 Member

There's a simple way to check your reloads to see if they will chamber. Take a flat piece of wood about 4"x6" and drill an angled hole the same size as a dowel which will fit inside your .45 barrel. Cut the dowel to length so that after you glue it in the hole and slide the barrel over it it comes up about 1/4 inch into the chamber with the barrel resting on the flat board. After reloading your ammo, slide the barrel up the dowel, drop in a round and release the barrel. If it chambers its OK, and as the barrel drops it will eject the loaded round. I made one of these "gauges" in about 5 minutes. Of course you have to put your barrel back in your gun to shoot it...