Range Report on the new Colt Commander....

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by glocknut, Jun 13, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

It shoots good!

mike
    gn
  2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Short and to the point:D:D:p:p
  3. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah...i thought that would bring a chuckle... :D

It cycled every round perfectly. I think it may need a little bit of a break in to be as good as my other lightweight commander. This one is not a so called lightweight. Its about 8 to 9 oz heaver and makes shooting a little more pleasant. I like the front sight on this new one...the white dot is a little more oval which seems to make it easier to see?

I was shooting from a longer distance from normal AND with bright sunlight. My eyes were giving me fits. My eyesight is really getting poor and my glasses are only single vision for long distance only and its impossible to focus closer than 3 feet making it hard to see the sights. So basicly...no bullseyes. I need to get dual vision lenses bad. I have an Astigmatism(sp)?

I think when i get a chance to go to the indoor range my shooting will improve a little bit. The lighting there is better for my eyes.

I didn't take the kimber along because i have not had a chance to clean the barrel out yet. I allways like to clean the barrel before i shoot it the first time. I got called to go shooting at the last minute and didn't have a chance to do anything other than take a shower and brush my teeth. Plus i don't quite know how to disassemble the Kimber yet. Its a little different.... it does not have the barrel bushing.... I'll have to read the book.... dang i hate doing that! :rolleyes:

I'll write a report on the Kimber as soon as i get a chance to try it out.

mike
    gn
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

PS

One thing i noticed about this commander... it throws brass all over the place...rather wildly. The lightweight Commander does not throw brass all over the place like this one does. The ejection port looks a little different too. Its not cut out to the same shape...

mike
    gn
  5. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

You looked into getting contacts? I'm terribly nearsighted (20/200 uncorrected vision) with an astigmatism and have between 20/20 and 20/15 vision with contacts. I have much better vision with contacts than with my glasses (the glasses are the exact same prescription as my contacts).

If you don't want to clean the Kimber, you can send it my way, I'll clean and shoot it:p:p

Glad the new Colt is working out for you. It took a couple trips to the range before my Walther was broken in. Now go shoot that Kimber and give us another range report. Better yet, take ALL your guns to the range and give us a report:eek::eek::p:D
  6. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

That's good to hear GN! :D

I have an astigmatism as well and wear contacts. The contacts are MUCH better than my glasses for the astigmatism correction. When I look through a scope with my glasses on the horizontal crosshair appears tilted about 15 degrees. When I first saw this I thought the dang scope was broken. I later found out that it was just the glasses. I've also noticed that the glasses make things in my peripheral vision appear oblong. I can't stand that... :mad:
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've had contacts before...a LONG time ago. They may have improved them since then, i don't know? But since i had the stigmatism the lenses had to be big enough that they actually went on the eye AND under the lids at the same time. They were that large in diameter....unlike normal contacts that don't go past the colored part of the eye. They felt like i had an eyelash in the eye every time i had them in due to them going up under the lids. I hated them.... Glasses are better but boy are they expensive!

mike
    gn
  8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Mike, you can't tell the difference with modern contacts for astigmatism... My contacts are normally sized just like my wife's that are not for astigmatism.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

They must have improved them from long ago....

mike
    gn
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Yeah, my toric lenses are the same size as normal contacts. Only thing I don't like about them is putting them in every morning. Well, that and when they dry out on me.
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Yeah, i have that whole dry eye thing. My tear ducts are plugged...so says the eye doctor.

mike
    gn
  12. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I don't have dry eyes, per se. It's just that my contacts dry out sometimes. I either use eye drops of I just kind of poke myself in the eye:eek:;) Or make myself yawn so my eyes water.
  13. glocknut

glocknut New Member

So it would be a double whammy for me... the contacts would dry out even faster on allready dry eyes. I think i will stick with glasses...or maybe someday...surgery. But i hate contacts....

mike
    gn
  14. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I love my contacts. I'm rather incredibly nearsighted, and depth perception and peripheral vision are both hampered with regular glasses.
    I fight MMA, on occasion, just for fun these days. Depth perception is really important to me. On the street and in tactical situations, so is peripheral vision.

You guys all wear eye protection when you shoot, right? :)
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Mike,

Just one caution about bi-focals. I've been getting prescriptions for bi-focals now for about the last 15 years or so and I've never liked them. I've never been able to get used to the line that's always in front of my eyes even when viewing for distance. I tried the transitions lenses and didn't like them either. No matter whether looking through the distance lens or bifocals I'm always aware of the blurred image from the other lens.

The other problem is that for some reason my bi-focals although technically the right prescription for my eyes, do not give me clear vision when looking downward through the bi-focals to read. To see clearly I half to lift my glasses with my hand and look straight through the bi-focals to see print clearly. I don't know if that's just a unique problem with my eyes or not.

The bottom line for me is that basically my distance vision is not that bad. I can still drive safely without glasses. I have a strange problem where my prescription seems to change from time to time so that suddenly my vision isn't quite as clear with my current lenses but I get some improvement going back to an older prescription. Then my eyes will seem to change and my most recent scrip works better. I think these fluctuations may be due to either high bp or mild diabetes or both. I do however usually need lenses for reading anything from newspaper type size and smaller.

So for my next glasses I think I'll just get a single lens for distance and buy a separate pair of mild reading glasses from a drugstore for reading small print. Perhaps a very mild reading lens would have enough focal range to be able to see the front and rear sights clearly. I'm going to try that myself the next time I go to the range.
  16. I have a Colt Commander myself, Mike. Frankly, I like it more, and shoot it better, than the full-length 1911s. Unlike my Gold Cup, it is not fussy about ammo.
  17. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I also have found commanders better balanced than full size 1911s. I have had them in both .45 and 9mm (Lightweight with the ally frame) and found them easy to shoot well.

With a beavertail safety (for quick grip acquisition), anti snag sights and a mainspring housing to taste (flat or arched) they come near as perfect as you can.
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Would you go so far as to say they are more accurate shooters than 1911's with a 5 inch barrel?
  19. glocknut

glocknut New Member

No...not bifocals. What i meant was regular glasses that help you focus both far and near. Regular corrective lenses. I was cheap and bought a pair that were for long distance only. She said they were "single vision"?? These glasses are not designed to allow me to focus within 3 feet distance.
    I will never buy bifocals...ever.

mike
    gn
  20. bigbore480

bigbore480 New Member

You shot just fine none of the neighbors complained about any windows shot out and no one is missing. I want to try a pair of those aperature glasses and see how they work for shooting.