Range Report: Opinions on Ruger Mini-14 from a handgun guy

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by mesinge2, Aug 11, 2011.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I own countless handguns and why I have not gotten into rifle shooting sooner I have no idea.

First let me start by saying that I got this from a friend that gave me a great deal. It came with two 20rd mags, a 5rd mag, two stocks, and a scope with mounting hardware. Before it even arrived I bought a laser bore sighter, a 30rd Ruger Mag, 400 rounds of 223 Remi, and a case with a scope sleeve and 5 magazine sleeves.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

I thought 400 rounds would last me a while, Nope! I fired 300 rounds total the first time out. I reloaded the mags 3 times plus a partial 20rd mag. So in total I fired three 30 round mags, nine 20 round mags, three 5 round mags, and one 20 round mag with 15 rounds in it (the remains of the final box).

It never jammed once!!!

The indoor range I go to has two 100 yard rifle lanes with flags every 20 yards. Here's a video of the target at 80 yards with the scope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g9CUNO6Vgo

And the resultant target:

[​IMG]

An am better with a scope and I need practice without one, though. Here is a target of 40 yards with Iron Sights:

[​IMG]

Now came cleaning. This was worrying me but it turns out I was worried for no reason. With a buddy's advice and the videos below it was actually very easy. I am super happy with this gun. I will so be buying more rifles!!!

P.S. Proof I took it apart ;D

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93XmX2IIjQQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPnDqy-p_qE&feature=related
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

Looks good, I shoot a mini 14 a little!
  3. bamashooter

bamashooter New Member

I love my mini-14 and I handload for it. To date my best group is 1.25'' You did some nice shooting considering its your first time out with your mini. Nice. Break down for cleaning is simple. Maintenance is no problem with the mini.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

You have an awesome weapon there. I would stay away from the 40 round aftermarket mags....they get sticky with their design and don't feed right. Other than that,nice rifle.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The accustrut helps the stringing alot. I accurized mine with a trigger job, accustrut, 11* crown, and bedded the reviever to the stock.

I love my mini, though I cant say i am fond of chasing the brass down to reload it. I am on the cusp of trading it for a bolt action savage or remington .223 because it slings empties over 40 feet..:eek:

Great shooter though!

Attached Files:

6. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

not a ruger fan but once in a while they have a good toy or two. The Mini happens to be one. I picked up the mini 30 as I prefer shooting the 762 39 round in my carbine style rifles. A buddy has the AC556, if you think the mini 14 is fun try an AC556. Hard not to want one after shooting it.
  8. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Great gun and I feel they are very underated.I have one and shot 1000's of rounds through it.It doesn't jam your right on about that one.A friend has the ruger 7.62x39 mini-14 version called the Thirsty-30.It has always had feeding problems and he has ordered about every magazine avalible.Only certain 5-10 round mags are reliable in it.
    I love that gun but blowing out 30 and 40 round magazines gets expensive.So I just shoot a few then shoot other guns.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've been using an E & L MFG. box brasscatcher like that on my Mini-14 for years & years. It works perfectly and doesn't interfere with the operation of the gun in any way. Well worth the $36 they cost. Will hold 40 or 50 casings before it needs emptying. :cool:
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

makes it look kinda like a SAW too..:D
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I like my Mini-14...did put a set of ghost ring sights on a few years back..Now I can even shoot it without optics!! Very reliable with Ruger Mags...

Now if Ruger would only make a full size version of the M1A, Id be in line to buy that one for sure.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have always wanted someone to make a mini version of the garand in .223. mini enbloc clips and all, complete with the last shot 'ping'