Range Report: Taurus 24/7 PRO Compact in .45 (NIB)

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jimmrik, Feb 26, 2010.

1. jimmrik

jimmrik New Member

Greetings,

I am new to the forum, former Marine and proud citizen of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I have been shooting for over 20 years with pistols (big 1911 fan), revolvers, and shotguns.

I was in the market about a month ago for a new concealed carry pistol chambered in 45. Over the course of about 2 weeks I put my hands on every concealable 45 I could to determine what would best suit my needs. At the beginning of my search I had absolutely no intention of looking at a Taurus. What I found after my search, however, is the Taurus 24/7 PRO Compact was the gun that met all my requirements.

This is the gun I purchased and working with in hopes of it becoming my new carry weapon. If it does, it will retire a Kimber 1911 that has simply become too bulky for me to carry in a concealable fashion.

[​IMG]
    Taurus PT 24/7 PRO C DS in .45

Purchase Decision

I decided on this gun because 1) it is in .45, 2) it is light enough for me, 3) it has a concealable profile, 4) it feels like it was made for my hand, and 5) the look doesn't bother me - after all, I'll be looking at it every day for a few years if it proves to be a reliable weapon.

I hesitated before buying this gun. I had heard some bad feedback over the years at the range and on forums. Doing some research right before making the purchase helped me decide to move forward. Not all the reviews are bad. There are some good ones out there. The warranty offered by Taurus also helped.

Just Out of the Box

There is a useful manual that comes with the gun. I do not intend to write a full review here, so I will only say it provided the needed information. It gave clear instruction on how to break down the weapon and reassemble.

Breaking down the weapon was quite easy. Putting it back together after cleaning was just as easy. All is good.

There was a grease-like substance on the slide when I broke it down. I had no trouble cleaning it off. Following a good first cleaning I was ready for a trip the the range.

Loading the Magazines

This gun comes with a 10-round and 12-round magazine. Getting 10 and 12 rounds in them was not an easy task without a loading tool. I was able to load 10 into the 10-round magazine, but only after setting its base on a flat surface and applying more pressure than I wanted to in order to get the 10th round in. The 12-round magazine was worse. I could only get 10 rounds into it. I expect this will clear itself up after some use.

First Firing / First Impressions / First 50 rounds

The first 50 rounds I fired through this gun were Federal American Eagle 230 grain FMJ.

I liked everything about my first firing with the exception of the travel on the trigger. With the 1911's I am not used to the type of trigger travel I experienced on this gun, but it didn't seem to bother me much after the 50 rounds. I also noticed the sights had me firing about 1.5 inches below the bullseye at 20 feet, but the gun allowed for good groups.

Everything else felt smooth about this gun. I had no feed, extraction, or other faults in the first 50 rounds. The shooting felt great. I didn't mind the little bit of recoil it produced. It was not too noticeable for me. My hand felt good after the first 50 rounds and the experience confirmed the good fit I expected from handing it the first time.

Second 50 Rounds

The second 50 rounds were Winchester 230 grain personal defense JHP.

Again, no feed or extraction errors. Everything was smooth.

Final 25 Rounds

The final 25 rounds fired were Pow'R Ball 165 grain personal defense JHP.

The 122nd round through this gun failed to feed. I was in the process of firing off my final magazine. The magazine involved here was the 10-round, but I had only loaded it with 7 rounds. The 4th round in the magazine did not feed properly.

When the feed failure happened I gently pulled the slide to the rear and released. The gun then immediately fed the round into the chamber and I continued firing with no other failures.

It is possible the gun did not like the Pow'R Ball, or perhaps the gun had gotten dirty enough to experience a feed failure. I'm not sure. At that point I was out of ammunition and could not investigate further.

Conclusion

Even with the one feed failure at the end I am happy with my first experience shooting this gun. The travel on the trigger took a little getting used to, but I am not concerned about it. Shooting was smooth. I will need to adjust the sites my next time out, but that is no problem at all.

I like this gun. I have high hopes the next couple hundred rounds fired are without failure. If it can achieve this, this gun will become my new concealed carry weapon.

I am interested in hearing of your experience with this particular gun.

All the best,

RJ
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have had the same gun other than in 9mm for quite some time,try loading 17 rounds in a mag.it aint fun.i have never had a ftf or fte.i did field strip and lube more heavily than normal my first trip to range.accuracy is better than some other 9s i have owned including baretta and taurus pt 99.it dif is a keeper for me.however being an old ex marine i will still carry my 1911(made by me)you made a good choice old semperfi
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I have a PT-145 Pro basically the same gun. 3 years of shooting and god only knows how many rounds and I only experienced one jam, a FTF, during the break in period (within the first 200 rounds).
  4. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I have the 45 Pro C and like the way that it shoots. The trigger pull is long on the first shot but the take up is smooth and quick. If you use the reset and don't let the trigger all the way out you probably will find that the 2nd through the last round is more like shooting an 1911. My 45, 40, and my wifes PT111 9mm all break quick and clean from the reset position. Good luck and enjoy.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

No experience with that firearm, but that was a GOOD range report.
    And welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  6. Daleo1601

Daleo1601 New Member

I have the 24/7 pro in .45 and love I have no real problems with trigger pull. This gun is a sweetheart. I will shoot it until the barrel falls off! I normal shoot the Winchester FMJ. I have had a few minor problems with the Mag failing to load at first. But cleaned and oiled it nowmif feeds so good.
  7. popgun

popgun New Member

good range repot. let us know if you have any other problems
  8. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I have the same in .40 S&W and still love it. I would like something a little smaller for CCW but so far I still carry it. I also liked the ease of breakdown and reassemble and also have had no problems with feed and ejection. Congrats on your purchase.
  9. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

My wifey uses the 24/7-C in 9mm as her carry gun. The only issues thusfar were from crappy Tula ammo.

Now she only uses her own reloads or CCI/Blazer...(retired jarhead, her stuff is usually better than Federal/Winnie White Box).

The only downside has been trying to find a good laser/light combo that'll fit on the TINY front rail...
    anyone know of a solid set that won't break the bank??
  10. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one just like it.
    I haven't had any complaints.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Jim! Thanks for the report, I have been looking at one of these myself. Added a 1911 Officer to my 1911 collection but feel it's still too big & heavy for a carry. Did you look at any of the Taurus "Slim" series?