Range Report, the good, bad & ugly

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by todd51, Apr 13, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The weather was good, the shooting was bad and that Glock is still ugly. Everybody had previous engagements so I went to the range by my self, no witnesses :D

Last month after years of making cracks about them I finally broke down and purchased a Glock. It is the new Gen 4 Model 19 9mm. No blued steel, no nickle plate, no walnut wood, just black plastic. This is the first time I have had to shake it out. I did fire it about 30 times a couple weeks back but nothing since. It has been a long cold winter and this was my first time for some shooting since Thanksgiving so give me a break please.

All those 120 rounds were done off hand no rest at 25 yards. I was seated on my bench. The ammo was UMC 115 gr. bulk and a mix of my 124 gr. handloads. Some of the handloads were 4 grs. of W231 behind a 124 gr fmj. while this plinking load works well in a Ruger SR9 and a S&W 669 it needs a bit more power to be reliable in the Glock as I had a few failures to feed when firing that load. The UMC worked fine no problems.

I joke about this Glock but truthfully it is a great little gun. A natural pointer and easy to get used to. A unique trigger that took some getting used to. If you have fired one of those rubber band guns well the Glock trigger is similar :D

On the second target I fired off just ten rounds of Winchester Bonded PDX 147 gr jhp which I will use as a defensive round. These were fired at 50 feet and again off hand.

Don't know if it is me or if I need to bump that rear sight to the right just a bit. Will wait for another try as I was getting a little jumpy by the time I got finished.

Would I recommend this gun or buy it again? Yes I would. But it is still butt ugly :D

Todd
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yes it is ugly!:D I do own one but my son uses it as his duty weapon so I don't have to see it. :D :p

Not bad shooting, it does seem to be a little left.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye's of the beholder Todd. And George is just jealous! Nice shootin!
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Todd,

Sounds like your complaining, but that looks pretty good to me for 25 yards Todd. Most defensive shooting would be much closer than that.

I finally got out to shoot this weekend with my brother in-law and nephew. We went down to Deer Creek on Sunday, and had a good old time.

I will have to get out their with you sometime soon.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

How does it carry? I also seemed to shoot a little high with another Glock I tried at the range (36/.45ACP).
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hogger, I have not purchased a holster yet, still trying to make up my mind. But I have slipped it inside the waist band just to try it out and it sits there very comfy. Maybe a good IWB holster is the way to go.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am jealous, that is a helluva lot better than I did yesterday.;) :eek:
  8. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Congrats on your purchase of a G19. Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of research on them. I really like the feel of the new texture on the grips of the 4th gen.

For years I stayed away from glocks for everyday carry.... Dam my girlie small hands. I went with a Kahr CW40 and love it as most of you know. But I now have a chance to pick up a new Glock under their homeland security program for a great price.

I have a PT99 that I bought used 17 years ago for $250, it has never failed me but it has never really fit my hand either. It came with three mags, Pachmayr grips and a shoulder holster, that I sold for $30. That means I have $220 invested and darn near 20 years of use from it.

After much consideration, I think that I will sell it and pick up a G19. Once I sell it, I will only have a very small amount to pay. I will be trading a 20 year old Taurus for a 4th gen Glock 19.

I am a little sad as this will only be the second handgun that I have ever sold, but times are tight and if I want some thing new I will have to learn to accept it. The only other gun that I have sold was my Firestar m-40 which I sold to buy my Kahr. The Firestar was the first semi auto that I ever bought. I think that this is a fairly solid choice, but time will tell.

Sorry... that got a little long winded....