1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Range Report, the good, bad & ugly

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by todd51, Apr 13, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The weather was good, the shooting was bad and that Glock is still ugly. Everybody had previous engagements so I went to the range by my self, no witnesses :D

Last month after years of making cracks about them I finally broke down and purchased a Glock. It is the new Gen 4 Model 19 9mm. No blued steel, no nickle plate, no walnut wood, just black plastic. This is the first time I have had to shake it out. I did fire it about 30 times a couple weeks back but nothing since. It has been a long cold winter and this was my first time for some shooting since Thanksgiving so give me a break please.

All those 120 rounds were done off hand no rest at 25 yards. I was seated on my bench. The ammo was UMC 115 gr. bulk and a mix of my 124 gr. handloads. Some of the handloads were 4 grs. of W231 behind a 124 gr fmj. while this plinking load works well in a Ruger SR9 and a S&W 669 it needs a bit more power to be reliable in the Glock as I had a few failures to feed when firing that load. The UMC worked fine no problems.

I joke about this Glock but truthfully it is a great little gun. A natural pointer and easy to get used to. A unique trigger that took some getting used to. If you have fired one of those rubber band guns well the Glock trigger is similar :D

On the second target I fired off just ten rounds of Winchester Bonded PDX 147 gr jhp which I will use as a defensive round. These were fired at 50 feet and again off hand.

Don't know if it is me or if I need to bump that rear sight to the right just a bit. Will wait for another try as I was getting a little jumpy by the time I got finished.

Would I recommend this gun or buy it again? Yes I would. But it is still butt ugly :D

Todd
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Yes it is ugly!:D I do own one but my son uses it as his duty weapon so I don't have to see it. :D :p

Not bad shooting, it does seem to be a little left.
  3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Beauty is in the eye's of the beholder Todd. And George is just jealous! Nice shootin!
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Todd,

Sounds like your complaining, but that looks pretty good to me for 25 yards Todd. Most defensive shooting would be much closer than that.

I finally got out to shoot this weekend with my brother in-law and nephew. We went down to Deer Creek on Sunday, and had a good old time.

I will have to get out their with you sometime soon.
  5. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

How does it carry? I also seemed to shoot a little high with another Glock I tried at the range (36/.45ACP).
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hogger, I have not purchased a holster yet, still trying to make up my mind. But I have slipped it inside the waist band just to try it out and it sits there very comfy. Maybe a good IWB holster is the way to go.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am jealous, that is a helluva lot better than I did yesterday.;) :eek:
  8. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Congrats on your purchase of a G19. Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of research on them. I really like the feel of the new texture on the grips of the 4th gen.

For years I stayed away from glocks for everyday carry.... Dam my girlie small hands. I went with a Kahr CW40 and love it as most of you know. But I now have a chance to pick up a new Glock under their homeland security program for a great price.

I have a PT99 that I bought used 17 years ago for $250, it has never failed me but it has never really fit my hand either. It came with three mags, Pachmayr grips and a shoulder holster, that I sold for $30. That means I have $220 invested and darn near 20 years of use from it.

After much consideration, I think that I will sell it and pick up a G19. Once I sell it, I will only have a very small amount to pay. I will be trading a 20 year old Taurus for a 4th gen Glock 19.

I am a little sad as this will only be the second handgun that I have ever sold, but times are tight and if I want some thing new I will have to learn to accept it. The only other gun that I have sold was my Firestar m-40 which I sold to buy my Kahr. The Firestar was the first semi auto that I ever bought. I think that this is a fairly solid choice, but time will tell.

Sorry... that got a little long winded....