Range Report

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by delta13soultaker, Mar 4, 2008.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

NAA .22 mag, 1 5/8" barrel.

It took some deep thought to decide on buying such a teeny tiny lil' gun. It started when Shellie and my daughter told me about "the creepy guy". Shellie takes the kids for walks on nice days before I get home from work, usually to the same spots in our neighborhood. This was normally never a problem. One day though a guy was watching them. As described to me, he would walk towards them until they would notice, then stop and pretend to not notice them. Shellie decided it was time to go. Making a long story short, by the time the kids and her were around the corner, "creepy guy" was standing where the kids had been playing...staring at them.

Giving up afternoon walks because of a "creepy guy" isn't an option for a farm girl. A PPK/S doesn't fit in designer jeans front pocket and her size makes an IWB holster not very concealed. Even with a belt-line length leather jacket it's still obvious. She wore my gor-tex pullover a couple times but it's not exactly comfortable when weather is warm.

So I bought something that will fit in any pocket I ever saw. It weights about as much as a zippo lighter.

So using .22 mag 50 grain Federal JHP (760 fps at 8' from 1 5/8" barrel), here's what we learned. I could have bought rounds rated at 1,200 fps from that barrel but I doubt they'd stay intact enough to penetrate far.

There's no conventional V-notch rear sight but the front blade sight is plenty big. Being stainless steel it's easy to see too. Indexing is done by looking flat over the topstrap, centering the blade sight on the hammer notch...and it's more accurate than I anticipated.

Recoil is gentle. Hammer and trigger very smooth, so easy to operate. Every click is very crisp, so I say it's pretty tight fitted. It doesn't take long to get fast with the ergonomics.

My first group had a low flyer because I dipped the front sight on first shot. Keeping the whole blade over the top strap was better so I stuck to that.

At 15 feet, it's easy to stay in the 9 ring. I put 4 of 5 in the head just to see. Not exactly 1911 accuracy but still good.

At 7 feet, I rapid fired 5 rounds (3 seconds) into a group my 4 left hand fingers covered.

We put 80 rnds in one target, shooting offhand between 7 and 21 feet and majority of rounds were in the 8 ring and a few odd rnds in the 7 ring.

Loading requires pulling the cycliner out and punching out the shells. For safety the hammer is lowered on one of the notches between chambers. It takes a few seconds to do this the first time, but after that no problem.

Attached Files:

2. delta13soultaker

Rock beats scissors and lead beats mace:D:D:D

Attached Files:

3. Always, Delta! :D I have an NAA Blackwidow which is very similar to the revolver you chose, just slightly bigger. Light and very easy to conceal. With .22 mags, it may not be a .45 but it will still spoil any potential mugger's day big time.
  4. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

sweet, man you could conceal that thing anywhere, I may have to look into one of these myself
  5. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I second Romm's post, I think I might be looking to add one of these to my collection too!
  6. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

Go hunt that mug down.

(this is my vote in support of whatever plan you come up with for the situation...on top of the revolver and confidence in your lady friend)
  7. delta13soultaker

I like the Blackwidow too, the folding grip version with the knife clip (holster grip). We were at a gun/knife show Sunday and there were a few but all were the 4" barrel with large fixed grip type...nice to look at but too big for my purpose, even if I ordered a holster grip. I found a new NAA Guardian for $340 but it was in a case of NAA mini revolvers, most for $199 each...and those lil' wheelguns were just too cool......So we bought the .22 mag mini for a warm weather gun.

I've got my eye out for a .45 Colt derringer. Every one I found Sunday was too large length wise. If you get a chance to hold some of the 3" and 4" barrel .45's they are the same size or bigger than some .32/.380 autos. (Bond Arms has some really big dang derringers!) I found several derringers that were exactly the specs I wanted but the calibers were .38/.357 or smaller. The venders told me they sometimes had .45 ACP or .45 Colt with the specs I want but I guess Sunday was not the day.

If I don't find a .45 derringer I like...I think I'll just get another .22 mag for me. Heck, it's smaller than my Gerber combat folder usually in my pocket.

As far as hunting the mug, I ain't hunting trouble...I just make sure we got more trouble ready than anyone would want.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Hmm the only thing that would really motivate me to get a "deep carry" like this is because Val Kilmer is my hero, and there are many good lines about his derringer in Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang.
  9. delta13soultaker

My interest in derringers has steadily grown.

They offer a welcome challenge...learning something both old and new; mastering a unique firearm.

Their simplicity and designs are hard not to admire...simple style stays fresh.

And a handful of firepower that fits literally in the palm of the hand speaks for itself.

This little gun brings me big peace of mind...Shellie carries it like her keys; never out the door without 'em.
  10. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Seriously great movie.
  11. delta13soultaker

They still let Val Kilmer make movies? lol
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

[​IMG]
  13. delta13soultaker

AAAWwwwww come on dude! It's not that serious man! It's just Val Kilmer:p
  14. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Hey Delta,

I owe you one! I showed my fiance your post to see what she thought of the gun and she said she thought it was cool and said we should get one. To which I said "well whatever you want honey!" So after our wedding I am definately going to pick one up, because gun buying for the girl is combines my two favorite things
  15. delta13soultaker

That's my kinda wedding gift:D
  16. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

I know, it is my kind of wedding gift too... I am just so lucky I get the Girl and the Gun! Well it will be her gun but I am sure she will let me shoot it if I promise to clean it afterwards....hey relationships are all about compromise right?
  17. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

:eek::mad::rolleyes::cool:

In that order...

No, thats just what Hillary Clinton and her feminist army want you to think. ;)
  18. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

No, thats just what Hillary Clinton and her feminist army want you to think. ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL.... Vlad trust me I would not be marrying her if Hillary could get to her. ;) :D besides what is wrong with offering to clean my lady's gun every now and again... :cool:
  19. delta13soultaker

I'm gonna pass on this advice. Try it if you're brave enough but I request to be not held responsible in any way:)

Mess up a load of laundry real good. A new bright colored set of towels in the whites works real good. You'll NEVER have to help with the laundry ever again(Have credit card ready to hand over for the kissing-up-shopping-spree though) :D
  20. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

Actually, she turned my whites red the first time she did laundry for us...but I did not get the credit card for gun shopping, I am going to have a talk with her! We have divided the duties fairly, she handles making sure we eat well, and I make sure we have clean clothes(that aren't pink) ...