Range Report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Apr 10, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Another installment of one shot one kill shooting. This time I shoot a golf ball at 300 yards in a 5-10mph 11-1 o'clock wind. This load has been exceptionally trustworthy; if I wasn't so cheap I would shoot a few extra shots to see how small a group I could get.

Golf Ball, 300 Yards, Howa 30-06

Somehow when I was recording the shot, everything was doubled, the balls at the target area looked like crescent moons. Something must have been on the lens and I didn't notice it. I need to remember to bring my magnifying glasses so I can see the screen on the camera more clearly.

Also, it was around 40ºF colder than the last time I shot the Howa, the IMR 4831 powder seems to be temperature insensitive. I've shot at 82ºF as well as at 32ºF; I think I've found my powder.

Howa 1500, 30-06
    Nikko Stirling Diamond scope, (came with rifle)
    Burris Signature Zee rings
    Hornady 190gr SPBT
    IMR 4831 powder
    CCI 200 primer
    Winchester case
  2. Lee C.

Lee C. New Member

Nice shooting Rifleman, What kind of groups are you shooting at 300yds with your 30-06 ?
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Good shooting there Rifleman.
    Your gonna have to fill me in on your camera expertise!;)
    No, Ive got a Sony digital disc reader that records pretty good, but not that good! It's got the zoom and sound, just not the quality...I actually dont have a cam corder anymore, eneded up selling it a few years back to a friend that needed it more then I did at the time.
    But, great shooting!
  4. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I've only shot one 3 shot group with these bullets at 300 yards, it measured 1.5 inches. That was with the powder I was using during winter, H414.
  5. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I use a little 4x Tasco spotting scope to get it zoomed in closer. Sometimes the camera will focus on a blade of grass or something but I usually catch it before I start recording. This time I don't know what the problem was.

You can see my set-up under the table in this video. 357 Mag, 200 Yards, 1 Shot

I use that board to set my spotting scope and camera on to align them with each other. Then I use angled wooden shims under that board to get my camera angle. I was thinking of starting to use my binoculars, they are 7x.

Thanks to both of you! :D
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Now that is just flat out neat!
    I was maybe over-thinking; How does he do that?
    Ive watched about all your videos, (not all I'm sure) but have seen several of them, and was always wondering how does he do that?
    I do thank you Rifleman for sharing that!
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Rifleman - that is some fine shooting. I can barely see 300 yards anymore. A couple of weeks a go I bought a .223 Weatherby with a 24 inch barrel. I am going to try some shooting further than 100 yds. I will be happy to keep it on paper at 300.;)
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Good grief :eek: A golf ball at 300 yards. To me that is fantastic shooting. I used think I was doing pretty good hitting my golf ball hanging at 75 yards using my 10/22. I will no longer say a thing about shooting at such SHORT distances :D

I'm with you Moody, I don't think I could see a golf ball that far away and I couldn't afford all the ammo I would have to expend hoping for a lucky shot.

Very impressive Rifleman. I really enjoy you videos and thanks for sharing.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

sweet shootn man. There aint a safe deer in your county as far as im concerned;)
  10. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I cant a golf ball that cleanly with my driver when I golfing.....
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Cool! I was going to get a Vanguard but it didn't work-out and I got the Howa.

Make sure you post a range report!

Thanks all!
  12. wpage

wpage Active Member

Rifleman,
    Good report. Keep us posted on your exploits!