Range Report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, May 2, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

This is a tried and true load so it isn't much of a range report for the rifle or load; it is more of a target test. I just combined those 2 pieces of steel and was seeing how well I could see them at 400 yards. I saw them pretty well actually. ;)

Eddystone 1917 30-06, 12x12" Steel, 400 Yards

The way I see it, if i never put a penny out there at 400 yards, I'll never hit a penny at 400 yards...

There was no wind to speak of and that was the second shot... I accidentally had the sights set on 500 yards. :p
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice shot Rifleman, thats a l o n g ways out there/open sights!
  3. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Thanks, I need to get some glasses so I can see the closer things; then I might be able to set my sights correctly. :p
  4. Zane71464

Well you might need glasses for up close, but I dont thing you have any worries at a distance! Me and a friend was out messin around yesterday, and he said there's that turkey that has a nest right in the edge of my field...I looked, said where? It was about 200yrds in his field...didnt see it til it was pointed out to me.

But to see a 12x12@ 400yrds, open sights...wow.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

At our range we have steel targets out to 800 yds, mostly animal silhouettes but some at closer ranges are in the 12 x 12 size category. Most military guns like Mausers, Mosin-Nagants, Garands, and others do great with metal sights out to 200 to 300 yds and easily can hit a 12 x 12 steel plate. Beyond that the results are more shooter dependent. The ammo my son-in-law uses is usually surplus. He is pretty good out to about 500 yds even with 1939 ammo. Some of these guns are better than others (the Swiss K-31 with the match surplus ammo once available here is phenomenally accurate whereas the SKS's are not so accurate but were never intended to be used at such extended ranges).

Anyway, the point is don't discount old military guns with metal sights. Most shoot very well indeed and 400 yds is at their extreme limit, but some can do well even at that range and longer. I'm impressed with the shooter, The_Rifleman! That was very close to the penny. I could never do as well! But it is fun trying.

LDBennett
  6. Zane71464

When I got my 1941 Nagant I took it out just to see if it was still up to par. And was just messin around with it, so set up a gallon of water @ 500yrds and it was still dead on with the flip up sights. But thats been 10+ years ago and my eye sight has went downhill since then.
  7. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Before I started using hand-loaded ammo I had tried a milk jug at 500 yards. I shot a whole box of assorted gunshow cartridges and skimmed it once. I haven't tried since, I should give it another go.

I tried 700 yards a few months before that on a big jar, maybe 3 gallons. I got kinda close but didn't hit it. Both times I was using old assorted ammo from a gunshow; now that I have more uniform ammo, I might be able to hit something at longer distance.