Range Report

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The_Rifleman, Jun 7, 2010.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy of my 180gr SP load...

[​IMG]

That was the 4 last days of shooting, (4 shots,) with 2 scope adjustments. Even though each shot was centimeters from the 3 inch target and especially since the shots were that close to each other, (maybe 1.5 inches,) something was wrong! My scope adjustments should have put me on the other side of my target at least.

So I took off my scope to make sure the scope mount screws weren't loose; then changed my load. I reviewed my ladder test target and went with yet another reduction in powder charge. I took one shot to observe my POI, adjusted accordingly and hit with the next shot. The last time I changed the load I hit the second shot also; I'm hoping this is going to be The Load.

30-06 Cut Chain

That chain I was using must be very brittle so I changed it out for a larger one; hopefully this new one will be a bit tougher.

Also... I made another sand bag, the one I was using was too small. While using that strap, the rifle teetered in the 17mph wind.

Howa 1500, 30-06
    Nikko Stirling Diamond Scope
    Hornady 180gr SP
    IMR 4831
    Rem 9 1/2 Primer
    Winchester Case
  2. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I took two shots this morning and missed the first one by 2 inches, then shot another without an adjustment which hit the 3 x 3" target. Both shots were about 4.5" apart so I decided that wasn't going to work so I shot 2 other ladder tests.

30-06 Newer Load

The first one was with charges greater than the last time I tested these bullets. I tried one specific charge but the group was enormous! So I tried even more powder the next ladder test and even though I got somewhat of a sticky bolt I kept going. I think I did find a good load though, I may have to full length size from time to time but at least I'll hit what I shoot at.

The first few frames of the video are of the ladder test and the group I shot after, I chose a charge between shots 4 & 5. I think I screwed-up that group myself but it is still .666moa. The bullets are traveling slightly faster than the 190gr SPBTs I have been using.

After I shot both shots at the 3 x 3" target I adjusted the scope up one click. I may adjust right one but I'll see what happens in the next few shots first.

One thing I like, (other than being able to hit the target,) is that now I am getting larger craters/dents; I was getting tiny dents before.

Youtube is acting up and is not letting me close the window without canceling the upload. It did that to me yesterday, stupid site!
    Here is a pic of my ladder test target and the group afterward.

[​IMG]

Ok then, I think this load will do.