Range Report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Juker, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Juker

Juker New Member

I was invited by a retired cop to do some shooting on 20 acres where he has a deer stand and has been hunting for the last seven years. It was ideal weather yesterday, high 30s, overcast, and spitting a bit of snow. I had rigged up some 6' 2x2s with cross pieces attached, and we stapled cardboard backers and targets to the cross pieces, and hammered the posts into the ground.

He brought his S&W .357 and a High Standard 9-shot .22 revolver. I took my Colt Govt 1911 .45, my trusty High Standard .22 Duro-Matic, the new Ruger P95, and the new S&W 442 .38 Spl I bought my wife.

High Standard - My dad bought this pistol in 1965 and it's been mine since 1977. Some FTF problems I've encountered in recent years were resolved with a new Triple K mag from Cheaper Than Dirt. 30 rounds of CCI fired perfectly, and it's still one of the loudest handguns I've ever heard.

S&W 442 - 1-7/8" barrel on this baby definitely not designed for distance shooting! Excellent bodyguard, vehicle, and hallway weapon, but got a little hinky past 15 feet or so. Fired 25 rounds of Remington and 25 Blazer 158gr.

1911 - 100 rounds of Winchester and Remington 230gr, followed by 16 rounds of Wolf. I picked up a 50-round box of Wolf at a gun show for $5, and now I can see why it has its pros and cons. Fired flawlessly, but left my 1911 looking like the inside of a BBQ pit. Crikey - I haven't seen buildup like that since my last FTX in the Army, shooting blanks in an M16 for five days at Doughboy City in Berlin. Took me 90 minutes to clean that one last night.

Ruger P95 - Ladies and gentlemen, we have a convert. I LOVE THIS PISTOL. Fired 90 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115gr. Flawless weapon. 15-round double stack mags are a thing of beauty. Not sure if I need to get used to that trigger, or adjust the sights, but I obliterated the center right side of the target.

Took the camera and never got it out of the truck because of the wet snow that was falling. :(

The outing ended with one of the best shootin' stories ever. I think I'll wait a while before I spell it all out; but let's say for now that it involved some anxious neighbors down the road, a bevy of heavily armed LEOs, and my first patdown!
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good report Juker! Sounds like fun, especially the parts you left to our imagination. I can imagine that when the LEO's showed up probably with drawn guns that they asked you if you had any weapons? He** yes officer! You hit the motherload.:eek: Something like that maybe. I cant help but think what would happen to me going to or from the range and getting stopped with 10-15 guns on board.
  3. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Those Ruger "P" series guns are often over looked for the cooler guns out there on the market....but they are great guns. I wish i still had my P90.
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

(Ruger) And a dream to clean, too. If you've never handled one of these weapons, they break down into five subassemblies in a matter of seconds. I was truly impressed with how the carbon is contained in two or three areas - I'm betting this baby would put hundreds of rounds downrange without getting fouled up.
  5. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

Sounds like a good time was had and can't wait for the follow up

I picked up a P90 about a month ago and absolutely love it. Been using Remington 230 gr with no problems
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

... Forgot to check the mail when we got home. Spent last evening cleaning and oiling and reloading the weapons, and when my wife looked in the mailbox this morning, there was the SBGO I ordered! LOL
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

That my friend is called irony......too funny!

I guess you will have to clean them all over again........
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a "blast". Give you credit for braving the weather. I am turning into a softy it seems and just can't bring myself to get out and shoot in that kind of weather any more. But Spring is coming.
  9. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

"The outing ended with one of the best shootin' stories ever. I think I'll wait a while before I spell it all out; but let's say for now that it involved some anxious neighbors down the road, a bevy of heavily armed LEOs, and my first patdown!"

I require the rest of the story!
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a brand new p95 I will let go for 299.00 plus shipping. Usually around 12-15.00.
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

Somebody better snag that from Double D before I do. Helluva gun, helluva deal, helluva guy - he's giving you a price waaay below retail!
  12. Rogervzv

Rogervzv New Member

Oh, man, I want to hear the story!

I have always done OK with LEOs when they have occasionally showed up to my outdoor shooting expeditions. But sometimes they have distinctly bad attitudes, and if you don't show the proper degree of subservience they screw around with you. I saw one LEO deliberately drop my friend's very expensive shotgun onto the ground, causing many scratches to it no doubt. At the end of the day, they know that the average citizen has no recourse.

Other times I have seen LEOs demanding proof that someone owns a given weapon. Of course, even in repressive California you are not required to carry such proof with you, and no one does.

Me, I just do what they tell me, and at the proper time show them the map that indicates that firearms are allowed at the place I am at.
  13. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I too have a P-95 that I could be easily talked out of. Wait until you've kept a round in the chamber for a while, and then find out that the extractor has lost temper. That one was replaced, and the second one soon failed as well. The P-95 is a liability if you ever need it to defend yourself. The bad guy will not wait while you use a pencil or whatever to remove a spent case.
    On the good side, that P-95 got me started as a Glock owner.
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey Joe, sorry you had a prob with your p95. I would still prefer the ruger over the glock. But thats just me.
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

Re: Range Report - The Rest of the Story

So ... picture this. Heavily wooded land with a hard-packed road winding down through hills. Overcast day, wet/frozen ground, light snow falling. High 30s, not cold enough to interfere with shooting.

We parked on the road and set up targets in the woods that ran off about 40 yards from the road, then swept up a bluff that was probably 60 feet high. Perfect backdrop. Not a rock or boulder in sight, just wet ground and lots of soggy fallen timber.

We had just retrieved all the targets and loaded everything including the guns back into the trucks, when I heard someone yelling up the road. My wife and I were between the two vehicles, and our retired cop friend was out in front of his truck. I realized my earplugs were still in and as I pulled them out he was yelling back. I thought it was either someone saying they were coming down the road (it was a private road on private land), or a neighboring farmer had come down to see what we were doing. Our cop turned and said, "It's the police," then I could see them through the trees , and heard them say, "Hands in the air! Walk this way!" My wife had headphones in her hands and asked me, "Should I put these down?" and I replied, "No, let's go on."

So with hands in the air, we walked slowly around the bend in the road and I could see five county sheriffs spread across the road and behind trees. I was glad I hadn't gone 'all tactical' with camo that day and was wearing a red flannel shirt and khakis under my coat. Our friend was telling them in a calm voice that he was a cop and we were unarmed. Thankfully we were, as of 30 seconds ago. The county sheriffs handle an element that's somewhat different than city cops, and they are not to be f'd with.

I should digress and tell you that my dad was a county deputy sheriff long ago in Texas. When I came of age, he told me several things. One, if you're ever arrested and you know you're guilty, don't call me - you're on your own. (I passed that tidbit on to my son when he got his driver's license.) Two, if you ever are confronted by the police, do exactly what they say, don't look or act defiant, and work it out later at the station. Three, in this situation, the cops do not/will not care what you have to say until they're sure they have control.

I'm a big supporter of law enforcement and know they have a tough job. I know a lot of cops, and have heard a lot of stories. And I wasn't about to do anything stupid to provoke these fellas - they were armed to the teeth. As we walked towards them I was actually trying to figure out what all they were packin' (that's the gun nut in me, I suppose) - saw a 12-gauge, a Mini 14, and a scoped long gun I couldn't quite peg.

We stopped when they said stop, and our cop friend, wearing his parka with POLICE on the back and a badge emblazoned on the chest, was telling them he was a cop and had permission to be there and everything was fine. (To their credit, we all know that those jackets can be purchased online and don't necessarily mean the wearer is a real LEO.) They called me forward, had me turn around, and gave me the first patdown I've ever had. I could see a ziptie in one officer's hand as he reached around me, and I was telling myself, "Get ready, they're about to put you on the ground...", when one of the sheriffs recognized our friend and the situation immediately changed.

It got nice and friendly and they were very cordial. We produced our IDs, and one of the sheriffs - I presume it was the one who had been behind me - said, "Sorry, sir, we got a call and are just doing our job." And I said, "Hey, no apology necessary, you guys sure came prepared!"

So it all ended in a hurry - they didn't search the vehicles or take it any further. By the time we finished packing up and drove out to the main road, they were back at their patrol cars, which had been parked some distance away, and I realized there were more of them we hadn't seen (which is exactly how it should have been done) and that they had probably been set up on the ridge behind us for a while, waiting for us to stop shooting and load up. This speaks volumes in itself - if they had come hard-charging at unknown persons who were armed and firing, something ridiculously stupid could have happened.

We had permission and every right to be doing what we were doing, but they responded appropriately to a call that must have been something like, "There's a shootout at the old McPherson place! All kinds of guns goin' off!" They get a call like that, and they're gonna come ready, which they did.