Range Shooting Fiances

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by UncleDannie, Aug 31, 2012.

1. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Range Shooting Finances

Took my nephew who just got out of the Navy (Diver) to a private range today to let him shoot some weapons, as he wants to purchase a handgun for his new civilian role. We fired the 1911 A1 .45, the UltraLite .38 spl, a 9mm PT709Slim, and a couple of .22 revolvers. All in all, we burned through about $70 worth of .45 and 9mm ammo. The rest was insignificant in comparison.

My point being, that just to go practice costs a lot of money. I might have to seriously think about reloading. I paid $137 for 500 rounds of .45 reloads, and about $96 for 500 rounds of 9mm reloads.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. X Ring

X Ring Member

I can reload 500 9mm and 500 45ACP with my cast bullets and used brass for about $90.00 total. So what is keeping you?

P.S. Please thank your nephew for his service.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That sure helps you get them down range a lot cheaper. Reloading is wise.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Three or four years ago I took my son-in-law's nephew shooting. The boy had never held a gun before, so I wanted to make it a GOOD TIME.

Took 22, 32, 38, 40, 44 and 45 pistols, 22 rifle, M1 carbine, Garand, AK47 and a 45/70 rifle. Had LOTS of fun.

When we got back, he asked how much that had all cost (we were at the range about 6 hours). I said, maybe a hundred bucks (I didn't really have a clue). Son-in-law said it had to have been more than that. So I go online to Midway and started pricing ammo. Factory ammo prices, and we shot up a little over 500 dollars.

It had probably cost me 50 bucks to load.

Unless you're rich, without reloading you can't afford to shoot.
  5. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

If I go to the indoor range here I take the steel case stuff they wont let you pick up your brass they sweep it all up and sell it to some company that reloads it and sell it back to them so Im always sure to give em some garbage
  6. zant

zant Active Member

I'm the annoying guy at gun shows that goes up to people getting ready to buy outrageously priced case ammo and starts a reloading conversation.I have an index card with loader,brass,powder,bullet prices to show that after your initial investment...how cheap it is to load good quality ammo.I got 2 people into loading at last gun show after showing them what I paid to reload 5.56 using LC brass,844,wolf primers and pulled 55/62gr bullets...and 1 guy even bought a chrono too(something else I preach).
  7. RandyP

RandyP Member

I thought from the post title someone was getting married - lol -

Yes, guns and shooting are NOT for the wallet weak - it is also why my most shot firearms are .22LR - can't beat 500+ rounds for about $20.

It is guestimated that a person can reload for about 1/2 the price of store bought, the larger pricier calibers offer the opportunity for even larger savings. I too suffer from not having any 'cheap' hobbies and reloading allows my centerfire handguns to see the light of day out of the gun safe and get whatever range time I want.

It is also true that most reloaders do NOT actually 'save' any money - they spend the same $$$$ but get to shoot more rounds downrange.