Ranger 12ga. Pump

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by MarkRMehochko, Dec 17, 2011.

1. MarkRMehochko

MarkRMehochko New Member

Received a "hand-me-down" from wifes uncle. 12 gauge pump. On the receiver was printed "RANGER" in block letters which is 90% worn away and the butt sholder pad is molded with "RANGER" with the "N" what looks like an upsidedown lowercase "U". The only barrel stamp is a serial number there are no other marking stamped anywhere. I do know this was a "trade gun" sold probably at SEARS in the 30's, and was a browning design. Manufacturer was probably Savage or Winchester. Receiver action is smooth and tight and fires 12 ga 2 3/4 shells all day >.< Would like any comments on manufacturer possibilities. Considering modifying for "cowboy action shooting". The butt pad has to be the "Key" for the manufacturer. :confused::D Any discussion would be appreciated.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Stevens 520.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. MarkRMehochko

MarkRMehochko New Member

Thanks Stone, Close, but on my receiver the "RANGER" is at the top. Looks to be the same lettering though. Also mine does not have that little triangular piece hanging down from inside the trigger guard?Just the release button. Had it apart yesterday and found the firingpin to be two pieces. I would like to find a exploded diagram of the entire receiver mechanics, any ideas? Do you think the MFG. is Savage?
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Ok, "Ranger" at the top:

[​IMG]
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Schematic, firing pin is #19. There are a couple of slight variations in this model.

[​IMG]
  6. MarkRMehochko

MarkRMehochko New Member

WOW Stone you are amazing!!! I guess my firing pin has been broken for a long time. The "break" hasbeen rounded from constant pounding so it looked to me to be 2 piecies. Well you guessed it, my next question is where I can buy a new one? A new sholder stock would be nice to, maybe santa will read this..lol
  7. MarkRMehochko

MarkRMehochko New Member

Found the parts i need at numrich.....Thankx for your help. I will definately visit this site more often ;)> And dont forget to VOTE early for the presidential election and vote often.....lol