Ranger Model 103-2 22S-L-LR and Western Field 16GA SS Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mosin_Nagant_Fan, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Just curious on what they are worth. If nothing more, worth memories about my grandpa.

As stated in the title, the Ranger is 22S-L-LR bolt action rifle and the Wester Field is single shot 16ga.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Not much demand for these two. The pair would probably bring around $100.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Figured. Well, both stays, since the .22 belonged to my grand-uncle I never meet and the 16 because I loved it when I was a kid. Probably get a hunting licence and go duck and deer hunting.
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Ranger is a Sears & Roebuck trade name used by them before WW-II. Sometime after the war Sears dropped the Ranger name and began using JC Higgins. Marlin made guns for Sears, and many of them were stamped Model 103-xx, so it is possible that your 22 was made by Marlin. I would need a photo to research further. Figure $75-100.

Western Field was a trade name for Montgomery Ward, but without a photo I can't tell you any more.
  5. remguage

remguage New Member

western field was made by mossberg
  6. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Here's some pics. I couldn't get any better pictures, my mom's camera is only 2.0MP.

The .22 Ranger's rifle barrel is about 23.5-24" and the Western Field 16ga barrel is about 28.5" long.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

I still can't say for sure; your photos of the 22 hide too much of the stock and I can't see the bolt side. I'm sure it was made by Marlin, however. Write to them with Model #, S/N and description. They don't need photos. Marlin will respond in less than 2 weeks. My estimated value above is still in the ballpark.

Marlin Services
    Marlin Firearms
    PO Box 248
    North Haven, CT 06473
  8. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The .22 rifle doesn't have a S/N. All it says on the receiver is "RANGER 22S-L-LR MODEL 103-2 ----MADE IN THE U.S.A.----" No serial number or anything.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  9. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

The Sears 103-2 Cross ref to Marlin Model 80 mfg 1934-1939
    24" barrel 8 Shot Mag Short Long LR
  10. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

I thought it looked like a Marlin 80, just finished looking it up when someone mentioned it on another website, and found a Marlin 80 on GB and looked exactly like mine, with minor stock design.

---

Possible that the 16ga single shot shotgun is a Mossberg, but Western Field is made by more then one company.

---

I'll probably finally get to take all the rifles and the pistol out to the range of the first Saturday in April...considering it'll be clear enough to go. I was able to find a couple more boxes of 2 3/4" 16ga #6s making the total number of boxes of 16ga ammo to 3, with 25 rounds per box.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Well, now I'm thinking this should've been put in the technical question forum, can someone put this in there. And can you also delete the last two posts? I guess I should've watched what I was posting, eh?

And I'm still trying to find out who made that Western Field. I'm guessing Mossberg is correct, but I've yet to find out which model.
  12. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK MN.....I deleted those two posts, and this forum is fine for your questions.

I agree on the Marlin 80.

On the shotgun....is there any other writing on it but the "Western Field"? Any model number or catalog number? Anything at all?

Could be Mossberg, but Savage/Stevens also made a bunch of shotguns for Monkey-Ward. See here: http://proofhouse.com/cm/house_brand.htm (scroll down to the bottom).
  13. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

The only numbers are, I believe, is the serial number under the gun, 397xx. There is a faint "w" to the left of that number and a strong "XG" to the right. On the barrel it has the same number, but with a "E" to the left and a "W" way to the right. The handguard has different numbers, 26 74 94, both are on the metal part and the wood; I think my grandpa probably lost or ruined the original handguard or if he bought it like that.

I'd post some more pictures but my camera's batteries are dead and I don't have any spares.
  14. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK, MN.....I may have found your shotgun. It's shown in the 2008 Standard Catalog of Firearms on page 1136 as the Stevens 94C and was sold under the tradenames as the Stevens, Savage, & Fox tradenames as the Model 94C. The forearm is slightly different, but otherwise looks the same*: http://shop.vendio.com/ggardenour/z...NS MODEL 94-C 311 SHOTGUN&images=AR780035.JPG

It was also sold by Sears under 7 or 8 different model & catalog numbers; Western Auto as the Model 350 & 350M; and by Monkey-Ward as the Western Field Model SS 94B.

*although, all single-shot shotguns tend to look very much alike, don't they? :p

The only shotguns I'm really "up on" are the old Crescents.....and I know that they often built exactly the same shotgun under 20 to 30 different tradenames for various hardware store chains, gun wholesalers, and catalog houses. They'd often make slight changes to the stock or forearm, but the basic gun was the same.

Anyway, SCOF values the Stevens 94C (if that's what you've got) at:

V.G.- $100
    Good - $75
    Fair - $50
  15. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Thanks, Xracer, just did a search and found this ( http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Savage_94.htm ) and it does look exactly the same, save the forearm. Thanks for the time and effort. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have enough money to buy some more ammo and take all my guns to the range. I'll also need a couple bottles of Advil for the pain (both the 16ga and the m38 are shoulder breakers).