Ranger shotgun for b.goforth or whoever

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by doubleslover, Dec 7, 2009.

1. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Bill--here is that shotgun that I eluded to in an earlier thread by DBjr. You asked to see some pictures. All it says is Ranger on one side of the action, nothing on the other side. It has the Iver Johnson butt plate and the serial number is on the trigger tang and it is just numbers, no suffix. I am in Canada, and I believe this is a Canadian gun. I have read elsewhere that Cooey made the champion and Hercules models for Iver Johnson but I haven't been able to find anything on an Iver Johnson Ranger.

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it does look like an iver johnson champion or one of the excel type. i believe i will have to change my mind about iver johnson using the name RANGER on single barrel shotguns for canada only. there is so much we don't know about the canadian gun business from the the 1920's and 1930's.

but like i said in the other post i still haven't seen any thing that in print or on the guns themselves that would indicate iver johnson's arms & cycle works have any other manufacturing factory other than in fitchberg, mass. for now my belief is iver johnson opened their own sales outlet in colbourg and montreal and sold the single and double barrel shotguns. there may have been some assembly done in canada.

EXCEL Iver Johnson’s Arms & Cycle Works in house Brand Name with many Retailers--------------------------------------1910-1935
    Single barrel; rebounding center mounted hammer; top lever operated break open design; gauges: 12, 16, 20 and 410 bore; barrel length: 26, 28, 30, and 32 inches (features barrel and lug forged in one piece) bored full chock only; Walnut butt stock and fore-end; automatic extractors; weight 6¾ pounds; overall length with 30 inch barrel 45 inches; blued receiver & barrel (nickel often seen); Economy model of Champion single barrel offered to mail order houses and other wholesalers; will also be found under the following Brand Names;
    T. BARKER H& D Folsom Co. New York wholesaler
    BLACKFIELD Hibbard-Spencer & Bartlett Co. Chicago wholesaler
    BLACKIMP K-S-CO Keith-Simmons Co. San Francisco wholesaler
    CHALLENGER George Worthington Co. Cleveland Ohio wholesaler
    DIAMOND ARMS CO. Shapleigh Hardware Co. St. Louis wholesaler
    EASTERN ARMS CO. Retailer Sears, Roebuck & Co. (just before or just after WWII)
    FAMOUS Hirch Mercantile Co San Francisco California wholesaler
    FALCON National Lead Co. San Francisco California wholesaler
    HERMITAGE K-S-CO Keith-Simmons Co. Nashville TN wholesaler
    IDEAL Charles Williams Stores Brooklyn New York retailer
    KING NITRO Shapleigh Hardware Co. St, Louis wholesaler
    MARSHFIELD (MARSHWOOD?) Charles Williams Stores Brooklyn New York retailer
    MONITER Paxton & Gallager Co. Omaha, Nebraska wholesaler
    NEWPORT Hibbard-Spencer & Bartlett Co. Chicago wholesaler
    OLYMPIC ARMS CO. Morley & Murphy Hardware, Green Bay WI and Morley Brothers Saginaw MI wholesalers
    RANGER Retailer Sears, Roebuck & Co. (just before or just after WWII)
    REVONOC (REV-O-NOC) Richardson & Conover Hardware Co, Kansas City also see with Hibbard-Spencer & Bartlett name
    SCOUT Frankfurth Hardware Co. Milwaukee WI wholesaler/retailer
    SIOUX Larson Hardware Co. SD wholesaler/retailer
    TRIUMPH Montgomery Wards & Co retailer
    TRUE BLUE Shapleigh Hardware Co. St. Louis wholesaler
    VOLUNTEER Belknap Hardware Co. St Louis wholesaler
    WESTERN FIELD Montgomery Wards & Co retailer
    XLCR W. Bingham Co. Cleveland Ohio wholesaler
    It must be noted that some of these names will also be found on single barrel shotguns manufactures by other manufacturer as some names were the property of the wholesaler/retailer
    VALUE: 100%=$175 60%=$75

bill
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009