Ranging Inc 'Rangemaster 1000'

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/27/01 9:55:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Dumb question of the day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I seem to have picked up a Rangematic 1000 - cute little tool but I havent a clue as to what it does or how to use it.

Can someone explain it to me? Better yet tell me if I'm just an idiot (lol) which seems to be the norm somedays. Kinda like paying money for stuff for an AK and not having a clue as to what I got (but the stuff looked cool mind you - but that's another story).

T out

AntiqueDr
    (10/27/01 10:29:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Dumb question of the day
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Should look something like this:

It is a laser rangefinder, by Ranging, Inc. Fair unit, on the lower end of the price scale ($100-$150 new).

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    (10/27/01 10:35:11 am)
    That's it AntiqueDr - thank you.

Paid $19 including shipping and handling. Now how does it work?

ps - it doesn't look like it was ever used.

AntiqueDr
    (10/27/01 10:49:46 am)
    My error, the Ranging Inc unit is NOT a laser rangefinder, but a "coincidence" rangefinder. Once calibrated, you look through the lens at an object. You should see two images, one yellow (I believe) and one clear. You turn the dial until the two images "coincide" and that number on the dial is your range.

Note that as you get further away, the dial graduations become more and more coarse. This is nowhere near as accurate as a laser rangefinder. The Ranging unit is also noted for poor light-gathering capability which makes it difficult to use in poor light. Unfortunately, in bright light it is difficult to distinguish between the yellow and clear images...

Ranging was one of the first portable rangefinders to hit the market. The newer laser units have completely slapped them off the market.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    (10/27/01 11:05:40 am)
    That's fine by me AntiqueDr - don't need a fancy item just something that works for reasonable distances.

Besides, I'm just a plain junk collector - I collect all sorts of stuff.

warpig883
    (10/27/01 10:07:12 pm)
    They work great for archery hunting. All your shots are close anyway so you do not need the long distance accuracy. I used to use one similiar to it all the time.
    I am not happy unless I am miserable
  2. steenland

steenland New Member

Have this unit. Used it in the past on golf course, especially on the practice range. Accurate enough for my purposes, so don't need to purchase a $300
    laser range finder. Seemed to remmber sighting onto a tree to find range to it. Still have instructions.
  3. jmtiner

jmtiner New Member

Do you have the original manuel for the Ranging 1000 ? If so, could I get a copy ? Please respond to jmtiner@swbell.net

Thanks in advance,
    Michael
  4. Jacobs3752

Jacobs3752 New Member

I need an eyepiece for the Model 1000.