Rate of Twist

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Dave3
    (1/19/02 10:33:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Matching Bullets to Barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could someone help me with bullet selection in regards to barrel twist? Is it faster twist for heavier bullets or the other way around. Will a 1 in 9 acaurately shoot a 100 grain bullet? If someone could please educate me on this I would greatly appreciate it.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/19/02 10:53:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually has more to do with bullet length than weight. Now, heavier bullets of the same diameter will be longer as a rule.

What caliber 100gr bullet? That 1:9 would be OK for 6mm, but not for .30.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Dave3
    (1/19/02 11:46:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    I guess i was just looking for a general formula but lets say a 100 grainer in 243? I was told to shoot 68 in my bushmaster. Is there a book or site where i could read up on this stuff? Thanks.

AntiqueDr
    (1/19/02 11:52:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    The .223 guns are where the biggest problems lie. The older guns with the long twist did OK with the 55gr bullets, but the longer 68-72 gr bullets needed a faster twist, so the military (and then everybody else) went to 1:7.5.

Go to www.recguns.com for a good discussion of the Greenhill formula.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdub01
    (1/20/02 1:08:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    Most manufactured stock rifles in .243 caliber have a rate of twist at 1:10 to stabilize the 80-90 grain bullets. Moving up to 100-105 gr. bullets, a rate of 1:8.5 or 1:9.0 would be more condusive to stabilization. These can be obtained with custom barrels from most custom barrel makers.