1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rate of Twist

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Dave3
    (1/19/02 10:33:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Matching Bullets to Barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Could someone help me with bullet selection in regards to barrel twist? Is it faster twist for heavier bullets or the other way around. Will a 1 in 9 acaurately shoot a 100 grain bullet? If someone could please educate me on this I would greatly appreciate it.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/19/02 10:53:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Actually has more to do with bullet length than weight. Now, heavier bullets of the same diameter will be longer as a rule.

What caliber 100gr bullet? That 1:9 would be OK for 6mm, but not for .30.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Dave3
    (1/19/02 11:46:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    I guess i was just looking for a general formula but lets say a 100 grainer in 243? I was told to shoot 68 in my bushmaster. Is there a book or site where i could read up on this stuff? Thanks.

AntiqueDr
    (1/19/02 11:52:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    The .223 guns are where the biggest problems lie. The older guns with the long twist did OK with the 55gr bullets, but the longer 68-72 gr bullets needed a faster twist, so the military (and then everybody else) went to 1:7.5.

Go to www.recguns.com for a good discussion of the Greenhill formula.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdub01
    (1/20/02 1:08:32 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Matching Bullets to Barrels
    Most manufactured stock rifles in .243 caliber have a rate of twist at 1:10 to stabilize the 80-90 grain bullets. Moving up to 100-105 gr. bullets, a rate of 1:8.5 or 1:9.0 would be more condusive to stabilization. These can be obtained with custom barrels from most custom barrel makers.