RATHER PLAY POKER THEN SHOOT AN AK

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Rockyja, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I know that an AK is popular among shooters, and that’s great! Everyone should buy what he likes. I’m sure the ak is a fun weapon to shoot. it’s just not for me. and I personally have never had an interest in that type of weapon. I don’t enjoy wasting anything, let a lone, ammo. So in that respect, I just wouldn’t find that enjoyable.

Now if I ever decided to go hunting, and I happened to come across some upset deer packing automatic weapons, then I’d better hope I have an AK handy too. LOL

But since, I only shoot paper, my single shot TC Contender is my weapon of choice. One shot, one perfect hit. My goal is to continue to discipline myself, go for the real tight 3 round groupings in the center of the target. That’s not to say, I can do that all the time, but it sure feels good when I do.

There are time, however, when a couple of buddies and I go to the range to play poker…. These are the targets we use. We decide on the distance, and we but the backs facing us. each of us used their own target.

It’s a lot of fun.

POKER POKER POKER.jpg
  2. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I have an AK pistol, and it is fun to shoot. Not very accurate, and it eats ammo like crazy. Could it be the 30 round magazines that I keep refilling? LOL
  3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

As I was reading I was thinking to myself, no way, I'd rather send money down range in the form of copper and lead than across a poker table. Then I saw the targets....... I'd play that kind of poker.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I've never seen those targets before, they are cool! However, the AK is not a hunting rifle! It was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it's a battle rifle. Could you hunt deer with it? Yes, but most AK's are only accurate out to 100yds., and the ones we, the general public, shoot are not full autos, they are semi-auto only. I have killed several deer with the 7.62X39, and it is a good round for deer. It's just that the AK's, and SKS's are not tack drivers, and we have to know our limits with them. On the other hand they come in real handy in a home invasion, or if you were attacked by a group. The TC's, and other, single shot weapons are much to slow in these type situations.
  5. Rockyja

Rockyja Former Guest

Living in Burnsville, MN, a Transplant from Los An
    I just missed you Carver, that's why I used the AK as a "Teaser" to get you in here. LOL Besides, I always like what you have to say. :)
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Title is confusing.

I thought you meant you would rather play poker and then go shoot an AK.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yep. The AK47 was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The M1 Garand was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The M1 Carbine was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The 1903 Springfield was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The 1898 Mauser was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The 1896 Krag was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The British 303 Enfield was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The 1873 Trapdoor Springfield was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

The 1860 Henry was never intended to be a hunting rifle, it is a BATTLE RIFLE.

You see my point? Every one - EVERY SINGLE ONE - of our mainstream hunting rifles today STARTED LIFE AS A BATTLE RIFLE.

A rifle is a rifle is a rifle.
  8. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

a rifle limited to a 100 yds, is only as good as the shooter
    ever watch bob munden shoot a 38 special snub nose at 100 yds
    you have to practice and KNOW YOUR WEAPON
  9. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

If the founding fathers were writing the Constitution today, they would probably word it in a way to say it is every man's duty to own a TC single shot for sport or food, and an AK or AR to insure liberty for your family and neighbor.
  10. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

^well said Bluesea112

My AK is pretty damn accurate, well past 100 meters; I would say more like 300m is a realistic capability for deer. AK's being inaccurate is a myth at least at my house, both mine with iron sights or scoped do quite well. and if it does miss, well, I got 29 more rounds to try.

I've been hunting with my M1A lately, that thing with iron sights will easily do sub 1/2 MOA out to distance with Sierra matchkings or Noslers, etc... Battle rifles make fantastic hunting weapons, the conditions I hunt in have exceeded some combat conditions as far as wear and tear/abuse on the weapon.

I am partial to the TC contenders though, I grew up hunting with them and fully appreciate a good SS rifle now and again.
  11. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

My experience with the AK is limited, only owned one.

But you could cast it in concrete so there was no way for it to move at all and it would shoot a 16" group at 100 yards.

I knew that weapon and that's how it shot.
  12. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A friend has a huge collection of long guns. He took me, the only person besides him that knows about them, and showed them to me, one by one. All the time he spent digging them out, I was holding the AK. I really hated to hand it back to him.

Nice.
  13. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Did you ever consider there might be something wrong with it, or did you just keep shooting and cussin'.
  14. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, clever idea.
  15. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

He's incredible, love to see what he does next, then next, then next.

He's pretty good with the S&W 29 too.