Raw Data Needed (stump the band?).

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by InigoMontoya, Feb 18, 2004.

1. InigoMontoya

InigoMontoya New Member

Here's the situation....

I am currently authoring an application to model the internal ballistics of a gun. Alas, while I am reasonably well-versed in gun theory, I am somewhat lacking in raw data to plug in to see if the simulation is in the right ballpark (or if it's got bugs).

With that in mind, I was curious if anybody had the data set associated with a *KNOWN* load.

More to the point, the data I need is....

Propellant grain geometry(*).
    Propellant burn rate data of the form R = a * P^x.
    Propellant grain density and packing ratio.
    Propellant post-burn gas molecular weight.
    Propellant flame temperature.
    Total weight of propellant used in the load.
    Barrel length/bore.
    Chamber volume.
    Projectile mass and bore.

On the likelihood that I've used the wrong terms (I'm an engineer, not a reloader!), please feel free to ask for clarification on anything I've said.

(*) The sim is being set up to handle flake, rod, and perf cylinder. Sorry, no ball powder.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi InigoMontoya and welcome to TFF. I do not know of the data that you are asking for. I know the terminology, not the data. You would best be served by going to one propellent manufacturers to get this information. Most do not give out that kind of info freely. I would imagine that some of that data could be considered "intellectual property" and thereby govened by law.
    Try contacting a manufacturer and see what they say.

In the meantime, jump right in and keep on posting. Many fine people around here.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2004