RCBS 45 decapping/sizing die issue?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlranger, Dec 5, 2011.

1. smlranger

smlranger New Member

While loading some 45 on the LNL, had problems with the primers not coming all the way out of the cases (intermittently). Checked adjustment of the decapping die (RCBS) and it was right on. However, the decapping pin on the die floats up about 1/8" when pressed. I disassembled the die and removed the collet holding the pin and the pin seems short. Even with the collet tightened, the pins floats up to a hard stop when pressed. I checked my Dillon dies and those pins do not float.

Is this a defective die or another issue? I will note that this is on some Blazer brass I picked up at the range last week. I did not have this problem with the same die on my Starline brass.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

It's either you need to lower the decapping pin in the die body or possibly you broke off the tip and need a new pin.
  3. smlranger

smlranger New Member

I lowered the pin assembly. It seems there should be a small spring in the assembly. I checked and it did not appear that the pin has been broken. I will be calling RCBS.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

The die set should come with a spare pin. I'd swap them and try again. Is your LNL jamming due to the primer sticking just beneath the shellplate?
  5. smlranger

smlranger New Member

Yes, it is jamming :(. I will check for another pin in the box.
  6. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Make sure and check that decapping pin thouroughly. I think you may need adjustment on the pawls of the press, while advancing with all stations full of casings the station 1 may not be advanced directly over the drop hole in the sub plate for primers to drop, it appears a decapping pin problem but the press pawls are off juuust a smidge.
  7. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Is it by any chance the Pow'r punch de-capping stem that's spring loaded and not set up properly, Just asking.
  8. smlranger

smlranger New Member

No. Took the think apart and no springs :dontknow:. It does look like it is supposed to have a small spring above the pin but there is none. I called RCBS and they said the pin was not supposed to float and are sending a new die.