RCBS Carbide Decapping/Resizing Die setup...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 1911Man, Feb 1, 2010.

1. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

Yes, I've read the RCBS directions are not real clear. I've read this complaint on here before. They state that a carbide die should never touch the shell shell, but the next directions state to raise the ram and screw in the die until the bottom of the die touches the shell holder. Uh, what?

Please go through steps of setting a carbide decapping/resizing die.

Much appreciated.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The RCBS direction should be fine. There is a difference between the die just touching the shell holder and the handle going up and over center, hard compressing the bottom of the die. Move the handle al the way down and find the spot where the ram is at it highest point. It will not be where the handle cams over but just before that. At that point screw in the sizer die to softly just touch the shell holder. The die is screwed in too far if you can feel the die touch the shell holder in the handle when you operate the handle fully with no cartridge in the shell holder.

If it is a RCBS straight walled pistol caliber carbide die set then it is not mandatory that the die be screwed right down onto the shell holder. A couple of thousandths clearance will do the job but don't back the die off too much or the area just above the rim will not get sized and your ammo may not fit into the chamber of the gun. Some trial and error fitting of some of the sized cases into the chamber may be in order to be assured all is well with the sizer die position in the press.

LDBennett
  3. 1911Man

1911Man New Member

I don't "read into" any directions and they specifically state that the bottom of the die should not touch the shellplate. I'll back it off ever so slightly and move on. Thank you for your input, LDBennett.