The Firearms Forum banner

RCBS Colored Boxes... What does it mean?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
I found a steal at an estate sale last week. In the box I bought were three RCBS boxes, I'm trying to enclose a picture. Can anyone tell me the significance of the colors?

There are a few other items I'll need help with... let me see how this one turns out.

Mike

Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Their modern dies only come in two different color boxes that I know of. Gray is for carbide pistol dies and green are steel rifle and pistol (which is the case on the green box) you'll have to lube that brass, that's an old pistol set. The blue, I have no idea unless someone just put RCBS dies in a different box.

#8 ·
Yup, I don't think that blue on e is a genuine RCBS box. It looks like an MTM like what RCC posted.
Looks like it's got the generic sticker that comes with RCBS replacment boxes and the guy transferred the info onto it. You used to get several stickers with their replacement boxes...not sure if you still do or not.
Otherwise, the grey ones are generally used for carbide sets and the green ones for everything else.
I think even the carbides used to come in green boxes when they first came out with em.

If what's in the boxes match up with the labels, the center grey box should be a carbide-sizer set and the other two are regular steel dies (lube needed, as howlnmad posted).

My guess is that the owner probably had different seaters set up for different bullet types so he didn't have to swap center punches when changing styles. Or he was just a packrat and they kept accumulating. :)

#10 ·
post up a picture of the dies in the blue box if you aren't familiar with the manufacturer.

I will sometimes buy used dies at flea markets and yard sales. though i woill only pay 5-10$ generally manufacturer don't matter to me on the used ones if they look ok.

generally the only used ones I will get are for limited use calibers.. or if I want a dupe set for something special... like a dupe set of 45 for working on special 45 auto rim loads.... which might get used once a year if that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.