RCBS Customer Service, WOW !!!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Sep 21, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

Is there a better company for customer service? These guys step way out of the way to keep customers happy.

First thing was a missing part in a reloading kit. One call and three days later the replacement is in my mailbox.

Second, I thought I found another missing part. Turns out the missing part is not included in the tool I purchased. I wrote RCBS and asked what it would cost to make the acessory for me. Customer service replied "We'll be glad to make it for you, at no cost to you." I never expected that, I was willing to pay for what I wanted.

Everything I have bought is RCBS, looks like I picked a winner.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It did not use to be this way 25 years ago. Then Dillon came along and changed everything related to customer service. Everyone else just followed suit (see, competition works!). RCBS has always made pretty good reloading stuff and now with good service too! They may be the brand to buy (??).

For LEE bashers (Lee lovers must not read!):

The same kind of thing happened when LEE started offering really cheap die sets. Everyone else lowered their prices to compete. But in the case of LEE, they cut corners to make the die sets cheaper and the other manufacturers of die sets did not. But today LEE die sets are still the cheapest while the others have settled on better quality for a little more money than a LEE die set. Want proof? Just look at the surface finish on the working part of say an RCBS sizing die then compare it to a LEE sizing die. The difference can be seen with the naked eye.

End of LEE bashing.

:) :) :)

LDBennett
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Excellent! GO GREEN!!

I have had this same result with LEE btw. I started on a LEE set up and they've made good from the get go as well. Even after 5 years of reloading with the press I broke the toggles resizing .30 carbine brass and they sent me 2 new toggles in the mail free of charge. Even after I told them Ive had it for 5 years and what I was resizing when it broke.

Im starting to think that LEE PRECISION just doesnt like LDBennett. He seems to be the only one theyve jerked around... ;)
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I've had real good results with RCBS. Broke my bullet puller not long ago. Called them up and was told to send it back. Not long after, a new one shows up in the mail. I've had similar results with Lee too. Never dealt with Dillon. To rich for my blood.
  5. X Ring

X Ring Member

As far as the Lee bashing goes, lets face it Lee wouldn’t be in business if they charged the same as RCBS and others. And the only way RCBS stays in business is to offer quality that Lee can not. I own/use many Lee products and they work, but the only reason I bought them is the lower price. I am glad we have Lee, they help hold prices down and encourage many new guys to get into reloading.
    :AR15firing:
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

He's not the only one; not me personally, but when I was starting to reload, I had several Lee presses to learn on. It was good from the aspect that changing all the parts gave me some good insight into exactly how the press functioned, but damn what a pain in the butt. All parts had to be paid for + shipping, etc. Every part I've needed from RCBS or Dillon has been shipped free of any charges at all.

I think X Ring stated it very well !
    I don't think Lee is complete junk, it's good reloading equipt and will crank out perfectly fine ammo. I just find it easier and more enjoyable to use other brands.

BTW Josh - Thanks again brother for your hospitality and gettin me out to your range; bit of a bummer we couldn't shoot the ladder tests, but still a great day!
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yessuh. Im still savin that ladder test for the PERFECT day.

You are welcome back out anytime. Next time ill meet you in cleburne and we'll grab a rolandos fajita on the way in. That ol man makes some killer fajitas, we'll actually he just makes the hotdogs and the money, and his daughters and grand daughters make the fajitas.
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

To get back on topic...this started out as a "green" thread... :)

I've always had real good luck with RCBS customer service too, but that only goes back to the late-80s.
    I bought a second-hand Reloader Special press (my first press) that had been tweaked by the previous owner. I didn't find out until I bolted it down a screwed a set of dies into it. Still haven't figured out how they did it.
    RCBS sent me a complete new press on exchange when I wrote them asking for parts & pricing.

Broken or bent decapping rods, rusty dies (yes, RCBS dies will rust too), bearing block fell out of a 5-0-2 scale. All of them exchanged or replaced with no questions asked.

Actually, since the late-80s & early-90s when I started reloading, I haven't had a problem with service from any of the big brands.
  9. howlnmad

My 5-0-5 won't zero out all of a sudden. I think I'll give them a call and see what happens.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Do you have any cal wts? and did you recently move it to a new location or is it in the same spot as usual?
  11. 1 Eyed Jack

1 Eyed Jack New Member

Well good to hear that there is still SOME customer service somewhere in this country, sadly this is no longer the norm,
  12. dbach

dbach Member

Make sure there are no drafts.

I noticed mine would not zero when the fan was on.

FYI
    I have a very accurate set of digital scales, down to 100ths of a gram accuracy. It also switches between Grains, grams and many other units. The RCBS 505 seems to be spot on. It is very accurate.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Turn the fan off... ;)
  14. warriflefan

warriflefan New Member

I think I just read in Handloader magazine that if your dies are slightly offsize for your rifle that you can send them your dies and some sample brass, they will machine the die so it will match for free!
  15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I'm not sure...
    I think RCBS (through Huntington Die Specialties) still will make a custom sizing die for one particular rifle's chamber if you provide them with a few once-fired cases. Back in the early-90s they used to charge for that service though. One of my local shooting cohorts used Huntington's to make all of his wildcat die sets.
    Right now, a blank die is $30 and I don't know what they're currently charging for machining it to fit your rifle. You can contact them through their website www.huntingtons.com .
    If you've got the reamer that was used for your rifle, you can buy the blank die and chamber the sizing die yourself too.

Hornady and Redding also will make custom dies for ya from fired cases as well.

Now...if a set of RCBS dies is out-of-spec they will replace them free of charge. I did have one bad RCBS sizer a few years back and they exchanged it.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  16. howlnmad

Yes I have moved the scale and no the fan isn't on. No matter how much I raise or lower the foot, the beam just points to the bottom of the low side.