RCBS expander deprimer

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by LennieT, Dec 2, 2009.

1. LennieT

LennieT New Member

I have been out of reloading for close to 30 years...retired and am getting back into shooting and reloading. Set up all my equipment and discovered a RCBS die insert that I can't find anywhere. I purchased this back in the 70's. I have included a picture. The brass has been sized and the primer remover on a single stage press. I use this die and insert as the first die in my progressive loader to expand the neck and make sure there is nothing in the primer flash hole. This insert says only "RCBS 38 SPEC." I want another one of these for 357 (I can use this one, but I to set them and forget them) and one in 45 ACP. Anybody know what these are called and where I might find them?

Thanks in advance.

Lennie

Attached Files:

2. davem

davem New Member

i dont know about that one but a suggestion is shoot rcbs a email with that pic attached or give em a call , let us know what you find out.
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

For the first step of reloading.
    The piece in the pic goes in a resizing die. It has a replaceable decap pin in the end. So you knock out the old primer, & resize the inside/outside of the case walls.

For the 2nd step..
    RCBS expander die "bells" the case mouth. It has no pin.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Back in the olden days, the RCBS 1st die did nothing but resize. The 2nd die belled and decapped. That's what you have - the innards of the 2nd die of a older 3-die 38 special set.

Nowadays, the 1st die sizes and decaps, while all the 2nd die does is bell. Don't know why they changed, but they apparently did. That's why you can't find one - 'cause they don't make 'em anymore.