RCBS Green Machine

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mncarpenter, Mar 11, 2010.

1. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Green Machine? Specifically, the straight line case advance and the bullet feed die? Or any other thoughts?
  2. GBertolet

GBertolet Member

I have one in 45ACP. I like mine. There are bugs in the design, but once you overcome them it is a great machine. Unfortunately most people got frustrated with the design, having to deal with these quirks, so it was discontinued. The carousel design presses overcame many of the problems that the straight line presses had, so they became the press of choice for the masses. Two of the problems with the Green Machine that come to mind are, first, the spring in the columns that occur when the brass is being sized, the resistance pushes down the opposite side of the press, giving variation of seating depths and crimp. This can be corrected by replacing a bolt, holding the plate that holds the cases, on the right side, with an extended one that will act as a stop for the top plate, preventing it from being flexed downward varying the seating depth and crimp. Secondly I purchased a Lee disc powder measure to replace the little dandy. You will need a Lee 45ACP powder die and riser die also. You can get it to fit without much effort.The Lee measure is case activated, so if there is no case under it, no powder drops, eliminating a real mess. Plus you get several discs included, capable of 24 different powder charges. The measure, powder die and riser, all for about $35. I picked up these solutions from other Green Machine owners who were willing to share along the way. PM me if you want more info or photos.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. mncarpenter

mncarpenter New Member

Thanks GBertolet-pm sent.