RCBS or Lyman?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gahunter12, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

I have tried searching for the answer, but can't find this exact comparison. I am getting ready to order a new powder measure this week. I am stuck between the RCBS uniflow and the Lyman 55. Which do you experts like the best, and why. I Load on a Lee Classic Turret press. It's not a must for me to be able to attach the powder measure to the press. If I can thats great. Thanks.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

They're both great measures and I've used both. Currently I use the RCBS. I wouldn't hesistate to use the 55. Find the best deal you can and buy it; you'll be happy either way. I have never mounted either to a Lee press, but I'm pretty sure that it can be done.
  3. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

I have the RCBS and it is really nice, I also have the Hornady LnL and it is better, don't know anything about the Lyman but I am sure it is going to be nice as well...

there seem to be two extremes in reloading equipment... up in high rent district you got blue kool aide drinkers who think Mr. Dillon's crap don't stink, on the bottom you got the Harbor Freight of the reloading world which is Lee, then everything in between seems to be about the same... thats just imo, of course... :)
  4. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

In all honesty that question boils down to do you like Orange paint(in some instances black) or Green paint. Both are high quality and do about the same thing.
  5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

They're both very good measures.

Yes, RCBS does have a case activated charging die for the Uni-flow. Midway has it for just under $80.
  6. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

Thanks for the input. I'm not so much worried about mounting it to my press as much as accuracy of drops and ease of adjustments. My plan is to have it setup on a mount and charge in small batches of 20. So I can check my charges before a new batch of 20. That will also allow me to keep an eye out for under or over charges. Most of my calibers will be 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, 44 rem mag, 7mm RM, and 300WM. Plan is to upgrade to a progressive by end of 2012 for my pistol cal. Maybe a good Christmas present for next year!
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have never used the Lyman powder measure, I do have an RCBS and it does the trick as do the four Dillon powder measures. Either one you choose will be a good addition to your reloading set up.
  8. X Ring

X Ring Member

I have and use both, the only big difference is the Lyman has 3 different adjustment screws and sometimes takes more monkeying around with to get adjusted. Both are consistent and accurate within 0.1 grains. The Lyman also cost less and has a smaller reservoir.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Toss the names in a hat and just pick one. they are both excellent measures.
  10. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I had been looking for the last week trying to decide. I will let my wife know which she needs to order. This is a Christmas gift. She gets mad at me because I always tell everyone to just give me cash. She told heck no you are going to unwrap a gift this year. LOL:D
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My wife--and the rest of the family for that matter--loves that I have a "Universal Wishlist" from Amazon.com. Any website you go on, you can add items to the wishlist, and it makes it convenient for anyone who wants to buy you a gift.
    My list currently has over 100 items on it, from books to tools to knives to reloading equipment and even gun parts. Any time I see something that I think I would use, I just click the "Add to Wishlist" button, and it's done. People just search for the list using my email address, and they can pick a gift that is both something I would like to have and a "surprise" when I open it.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats a hell of an idea Josh. thanks.
  13. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

That is a great idea. I need to set one up. Thanks for sharing that tip! Hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas!!