1. Juststartingout

Juststartingout New Member

This is the reloading press my dad had in the 70's. Any pro's and con's about it? Will other reloading dies fit this? The LEE (red box) .30-30 die seems like you dont need a press. Would this be used in the field?

Attached Files:

2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a hell stout press. It will last 3 life times and it will always be under warranty. Any reloading dies will fit it. It's a keeper, plus it was your dads so there is sentimental value for you. Nice stuff their.
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup: What Highboy said that is good stuff. I am still using the same stuff after 35+ years. Now that Lee thing I don't know any thing about. You will have to ask LD about that.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  4. Juststartingout

Thanx Highboy. It has not seen the light of day in 30 years. I plan on getting this set up because I have seen the prices of ammo here and I think I can save alot of money.
  5. Juststartingout

Love the set up Todd51. I have not found the powder stand like you have in the pic. Will it fit in the press or do I need to get a stand if I cant find it?
  6. Juststartingout

I have the scale and a lyman case trimmer. I have a .38 special and a .357 die and dont know why as I dont have any of these caliber guns. Will they work with other calibers?
  7. 76Highboy

No, they are caliber specific.
  8. Juststartingout

Thanx Highboy. I guess I will just have to buy more Ruger guns!!
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The nice thing about the Rock Chucker is you take out that black bushing nut on top and you can put in the Hornady LNL die bushings then it is even quicker and easier to change out dies.
  10. Juststartingout

Will the Hornady LNL work with the rcbs dies? I dont want to buy more dies.
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Most all the standard dies from Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and others use a 7'8"-14 thread and will interchange between different mfgs.

That powder stand is still available from RCBS.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

The powder measure has the same 7/8"-14 thread and will fit the press. You can use a little ingenuity and build your own stand and save some $$$
  13. henry77

henry77 New Member

I still use a RockChucker from the late 1960's. Some of the green paint is gone, but it still works great. Most of my equipment is from the late 60's and early 70's. Not planning on retiring any of it.
  14. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Have you guys heard? Ruger has stopped accepting orders because they are so far behind. I think we're getting ready to go through the second wave of gun and ammo shortages thanks to fears over the Bozo in Chief.
  15. 76Highboy

Now in my opinion, that's sheer wisdom naturally.:)
  16. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

The die set you have is what is called a "Lee Loader" and will not fit your press. They are a "stand-alone" set and are sometimes called a "hammer die"set as you use a hammer to reload with them. They work quite well but are very slow to use and only neck size. The most exciting part of using them is the seating a new primer with the hammer. (Don't get carried away with seating or you can trip the primer, sting your fingers and have to chase the priming rod across the room. (Don't ask me how I know this...:eek:)
  17. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

And also another semi-unrelated thing about that Lee Loader. Just popped into my head when I saw that label again.

That particular Lee Loader is used for .30-30Winchester and the .30Remington because, as deadin mentioned, it sizes only the neck of the case. Those two cartridges are nearly identical in length.
    That stupid label is the reason why that there are so many folks out there that think they can reload for the .30Rem with a set of .30-30Win dies.
    Gee...thanks for the confusion Richard Lee! :rolleyes:

But as for the rest of the stuff you've got pictured, The Rock Chucker is a fine press and will give you many more years of service as will that RCBS powder measure.
    the other guys have already chimed in that any standard modern die set with 7/8"-14 threads (and that's nearly all of them besides the big monsters like the .50BMG) will fit that press with no problems.

Do you have a manual to go with it? If not, that should be your first purchase to find out what else you'll all need to get started rolling your own cartridges.
    Don't rely on the data in that old manual if you do have one. It is very likely that some of the recipes have changed in 30 years due to different methods of testing the data and differences in the components used over the years.
    Feel free to drop down the main forum page a bit until you find the Ammo & Reloading sub-forum. You'll find lots of info in there on getting started.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  18. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Doesn't the insert in the RockChucker, if removed, allow for the larger die bodies? Or is the 50BMG even bigger yet?? I do know that if you are going to full length resize a 50 you'd better make sure that the press is well mounted on a strong surface..:D
  19. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

LDBennett would probably know for sure since he's loading a .50 derivative.
    The large-caliber RCBS dies are 1.5"-12 and that is the thread size in the Rock Chucker minus the insert.
    It would get awful cramped in there though...the .50 is pretty darn long for the press opening. I would think you'd need the Ammomaster to have enough height in the press opening.

I know RCBS used to make 1.5"-12 shotshell die sets for 12 and 20 gauge that would thread into the Rock Chucker and/or Ammomaster. Don't see them in the catalog anymore though.

I thought that Hornady uses 1.25"-12 thread on their Lock-n-Load system...
  20. Juststartingout

Thank you guys for the input! It is really helpful that so many people know their stuff.