Rcbs universal hand primer problems

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gibill, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Gibill

Gibill New Member

New to reloading and forum. Just received my new rcbs hand held primer tool to load my once fired rounds on my lynam t mag II terrot press. Watching the u tube demos that a few guys put on made the tool seem to operate nearly effortlessly. Mine doesn't seem to work that way. Mine seems to get hung up during process of ramming primer up into case. I have checked primer feed and small primer ram. They are installed properly. Every now and then 1 round will load effortlessly. But most of them hang up and takes 2 hands to squeeze the primer in. Several times the handle locked so couldn't be squeezed any more. Pulled case out of holder and primer was only half way in case. Did I just get a defective unit? Thanks for the info!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Gibill, what caliber are you reloading and do you know what headstamp cases you're using? You could be having a crimped primer pocket problem, an adjustment problem or possible using brass that had a sealed primer. ( S&B is notoriously more difficult to prime and I get loads of S&B brass from a friend who refuses to reload it, but I do just fine with it on my presses )
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Also, if possible, post a pic of your brass both pre and post depriming please.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Mine operates nearly effortlessly. Something in your setup is not correct.

Does the handle move effortlessly when there isn't a case in the shell holder? If so, then I think we need to take a closer look at your cases like Woolleyworm suggested.
  5. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

A agree "crimped" pocket. Also make sure the piston is not upside down, flat side should be up.
  6. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I am going to agree on the crimped primer, and throw out Small primer pockets maybe.

I know mine will double feed if you are not careful. You have to hold it just right and let the handle snap back just enough to feed the next primer. Also I have to make sure that the plastic piece that holds the shell holder is pressed in FIRMLY for it to operate smoothly.

RCBS could have done a little more R&D on this bad boy.
  7. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Hey wooly worm.....thanks for the info......looked up crimped primer pocket images....that is what I believe my 223 brass is......looks like it has that recessed berm around perimeter of primer pocket....I then put some pistol primers in my hand primer tray to do a batch of 9 mil rounds.....and.....vua-la......the handle squeezed effortlessly......now the question.....can I still use the hundred 223 rounds that I struggled thru? Looking at them, they are all seated slightly below flush. And how do I do these rounds in the future.....because I think it not good for the plastic primer feed for those primers to be forced in thru that crimped primer pocket. Also, it isn't possible to get 2 primers in to 1 case is it? Doesn't look like there would be enough room for the second one to seat below flush. Thanks again for your counsel.....feel a heck of a lot better about my 60.00 purchase. And the pistol rounds will be a pleasure to prime!
  8. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Thanks as well to cptango30', steve4102, and camping josh.....for your collective ideas and help.....appreciate your sharing your experience.....will need to lean on all of you again, probably real soon.......I've worked my way thru cleaning the brass....removing the primers and sizing (without 1 stuck case). And finally priming. Next step.....powder and bullet. Can't do that til I get my digital calipers. My next investment, oh, quick question, 2 of my 223 cases now have a primer stuck half way in......can I pull it out or would it be better to try to finish getting it all the way in, or just dispose of it?
  9. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

10. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

I'd just get rid of the couple with primers halfway in. As far as using the ones you have done, I would, others might not. Before reloading them again though I would get a crimp remover of some type and use on them. Before I got the acual tool, I used to use a chamfer tool and just ream out the primer pocket slightly to remove the crimp.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

2 of my 223 cases now have a primer stuck half way in......can I pull it out or would it be better to try to finish getting it all the way in, or just dispose of it

Just run them back through your decapping die to push those primers out. Go gently on the handle and you'll have no problems. If the primers aren't damaged you can reuse them.
  12. Gibill

Gibill New Member

Thanks for all the input......just ordered my calipers.......dial or digital? Who likes what and why?
  13. elkslayer4x5

elkslayer4x5 New Member

Dial, no batteries. :)