RE: 1911

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by sub-moa, Sep 19, 2012.

1. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

I had an older post regarding my dad’s Army issue Colt .45 and I finally figured out how to post a pic here on TFF. I know it’s not very good quality but still would like a rough value (just for my own information) wouldn’t consider selling it. I know it is all original just as it was handed to him in 1944. I shot it with him when my dad was alive, maybe 20 rounds and it shoots perfectly. I called Colt and gave them the serial # and they said it was mfd. in 1918, but that’s all they knew about it. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Ironvarmint

Ironvarmint New Member

3. oldmedik

oldmedik New Member

the frame appears to be 1911, but the main spring housing, and grips are 1911a1. pistol maybe an arsonal rework.
  4. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Don't know. I see what you are talking about, the crescents. I just know according to Colt the serial # indicates a build date of 1918. How could this be?
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That looks like an A1 pattern to me as well. Everything looks A1 except for the long trigger.

I'm not 100% up on my marking and the pics are a bit fuzzy to spot all of em, but the rampant pony is in the wrong location for an early 1911 too. It should be between the patent #s and address on a WWII era or earlier Colt slide.
    The slide logo looks like a post-1955 commercial marking. (also used on "contract" slides but those were parkerized and not blued)

Does your camera have a macro setting that will allow you to take some clearer pics of the markings?
    It's possible that it's an arsenal rebuild and it's a non-Colt frame with a serial number that happens to fall into the 1918 Colt production range.
    If you can get some clearer pics of the markings we can help ID it.
    It is in nice shape from what I can see.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  6. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

See what I can do
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The slide is post-WWII Colt commercial, so it was not around in 1944. I can't determine from the picture if the frame is military or not.

Is there a letter or letters in, before, or after the serial number?

Jim
  8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

Aftermarket 1911A1 frames were made by quite a few companies. Serial numbers duplicated Colt's numbers.
    I have a friend with a gun shop who had a 1911A1 he was very proud of.
    G.I. issue and he researched the SN. I hated to tell him the frame was aluminum.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Some of those frames were made with markings so faint they could be removed easily and the frame marked to duplicate GI frames. That, plus a fake Singer slide and the smart boys can clean up.

Fortunately, most of the efforts along those lines are so crude that only a totally unknowledgeable person would be taken in.

Jim