The Firearms Forum banner

"Re-finishing" Synthetic stocks

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to do something to my Savage's plastic stock. Nothing is wrong with it, just have that modifying itch that can't really be scratched... I was checking out the Nosler rifles, and they have some beautiful stocks. Reinforced fiberglass that. I was wondering if there is anyway to alter a factory stock to replicate something like these:

First one looks like it could be replicated with a truck-liner or those spray cans that give a textured surface. Of course that is a $2600 Nosler... I'm wanting to alter a $300 Axis... but I don't know how a $5 rattle can will look... 2nd pic with the wavy pattern, no clue but it looks great. Also like the look of Camo and other hydrographic film jobs on rifle stocks too. But I don't hunt...

Any ideas to make my gun more interesting and give myself a project?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ive used that web paint with much success. It just takes practice to get it right. i did it on a mcmillen stock a few months ago were I altered the trigger guard inletting and the comb. I then refinished it in OD green cerakote and then used the web paint that krylon has at hobby stores. It held up just as good as the factory paints.
As far as hydrodipping stock, that is not something you want to try on your own in your bathtub. In order to do it right it take the right equipment..

#3 ·
The guys at VX make some very practical milspec camo jobs on their precision rifles and carbines with that 5 dollar a can camo paint. I do the same with air cure cerakote because its more durable.

#4 · (Edited)
Ive used that web paint with much success. It just takes practice to get it right. i did it on a mcmillen stock a few months ago were I altered the trigger guard inletting and the comb. I then refinished it in OD green cerakote and then used the web paint that krylon has at hobby stores. It held up just as good as the factory paints.
As far as hydrodipping stock, that is not something you want to try on your own in your bathtub. In order to do it right it take the right equipment..
Thanks! Yeah looks like I will definitely have to do some practicing. I've been reading and watching tutorials where people do that webbing with the Krylon cans. Camo jobs too. Probably won't be satisfied with it after the first try, I can always strip the paint off and try again. For now I'm going to take some high grit sand paper and smooth out the mold lines on the Axis.

As for truck bed liner, there seems to be a big difference in the texture, from really bumpy to very fine in the products out there.

#5 ·
The guys at VX make some very practical milspec camo jobs on their precision rifles and carbines with that 5 dollar a can camo paint. I do the same with air cure cerakote because its more durable.
Yeah it really requires skill and experience. I've seen some really nice camo jobs. Still browsing around and brainstorming ideas. Found some pretty interesting bench rest guns with marble and candy paint jobs.

#6 ·
Some the best ive seen were done using hadfuls of weeds, small branches off trees. netting and small wads of rope. A real artists approach to a camo job is sliging paint all directions through various wads of whatever placed in strategic places around the stock. it almost looks like he doesn't know a thing about what hes doing until hes done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.