Re: Iver Johnson arms and cycle Works

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Moosr1129, May 8, 2008.

1. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

these four patent dates were only used for a couple of years on the second model 1895 - 1896. if this revolver has the letter code C as a prefix for the serial number found on the left side of the grip frame (under the grips) then the manufactured date will be 1896 if not then the date will be 1895.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

bill
  2. 10_point_buck

10_point_buck New Member

I think I found the spot to ask this question, so here goes:

I inherited a gun that was my great-great-great grandfathers. I'd like to know if anyone could tell me more about it.

1) Age
    2) Value
    3) History

Here is what I have:

Iver Johnson's
    Arms and Cycle Works
    Fitchburg, Mass USA
    Champio
    -410 Bore-Barrell and (cant read it) forged into one.
    Serial number 38045C

It is a .410 shotgun.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

see the answer i gave to your other post.
    bill
  4. ColtsGreenvilleNC

ColtsGreenvilleNC New Member

Mr. Goforth:

My name is Glenn in Winterville, NC I own a local gun shop and have come across an unmarked (believed to be Iver Johnson) .22 revolver. It is marked "Defender" and has 80% of the original silver/chrome finish. Also, it has some engraving.

If you are still on the world wide web and this message some how gets to you, could you please give me a ball park, retail value?

Thank you,

Glenn
    Winterville, NC
    Colt's Guns and Pawn
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, the name Defender is listed as being used by Johnson and Bye, ( which was to become Iver Johnson ), Iver Johnson, and one Spanish maker. Both of the first listed guns had spur triggers and are black powder frames { 1873-1889, smokeless frames started in 1909 } untill, nickle finish. These were inexpensive guns when built ( less than two dollars ) and still have low values, however no valid information can be given with out pictures. Most of the guns I have seen were well worn and sold between 75 and 125 dollars.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012