The Firearms Forum banner

Re Lever Rifle for comp shooting

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a Winchester lever action rifle with the possibility of getting into competition shooting (cowboy style). I would like to hear pros/cons of various models and calibers. Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
Is there a particular reason you want to limit your choice to a Winchester? Others make lever guns, too. I have my Dad's Model 94 .30-30, and it's a beautiful piece of precision machinery that I'd highly recommend to anyone. But I also have a Browning BLR in .243 Win, and it's a much better design, and inherently more accurate. I believe that Marlin, and I know that Henry both make lever guns, too, but I have no personal experience with either and couldn't offer a qualified opinion on them. Others will be along shortly to inform you that I'm an idiot, of course. But I wish you well in your search, as I happen to love lever guns for their reliability and ease of operation.:D

#3 ·
First, do you want a real "Winchester" brand, or a gun that looks like a Winchester. Uberti (1860, 1866, 1873) and Rossi (1892) and Chiappa (1892) all make copies of Winchesters.

Caliber. For cost and speed, you want to get either a 38 or a 357 and shoot 38s in it. To my mind, the 1892 is the best design, but the really fast guys seem to all be using 1873s. I shoot 44/40s, but I'm peculiar. :) Lots of folks seem to like 45 Colt, but I'm not real happy with that in a rifle. Not very much rim for an extractor to grab.

If you are going for "real" Winchester, your choices are (unless you are going for antique) the 94, made in the states, the 92 made in Japan, or the new 73 made in the Japan.

I would stay away from the 94. It was made for "rifle-length" cartridges,

and when they redesigned it for "pistol-length" - well, it works okay, but if you try to go fast it has a tendency to jam. Lots of people use 'em, 'cause they run under 500 bucks, and the others are over a grand. But you can't go fast.

You can find a used Rossi for under five. The new Rossi is made by Taurus, and I don't trust them to make a decent gun. Chiappas run over a grand, and Ubertis are closer to 1300. The dollar ain't doing real good against the Euro.

Reactions: jwdurf
#4 ·
I currently have a 94 chambered in 30-30 and really like the quality and feel. I'm a bit skeptical of the Japanese made guns unless someone can convince me on their quality? How are the 16" 94's in .357?

#6 ·
Miroku make some fine damn guns. Brownings and Winchsters have been made there for years.

#7 ·
You used to be able to get the Marlin 1894 in 38/357 but I haven't seen one in over 3 years. I was at a gun show and talked to the Remington/Marlin rep and he said they were going to start production on them again but that was over a year ago.

The Marlin would be a good choice if you could find one. They were in the $600/700 range. I have one in the 44 mag and its a fine rifle. A Winchester 73 in 357 is going to take a big bite out of $2000.00.

#8 ·
I currently have a 94 chambered in 30-30 and really like the quality and feel. I'm a bit skeptical of the Japanese made guns unless someone can convince me on their quality? How are the 16" 94's in .357?
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any gun made by Miroku. You would be hard pressed to find an American manufacturer that builds a gun of equal quality.

Reactions: jwdurf
#11 ·
I really appreciate the feedback! I do like the 1892 with 20" barrel but don't care for the "large loop" lever. Does anyone know if a traditional lever can be swapped out without compromising the action of the gun?

#12 ·
Not according to a well-known riflesmith. I offered to swap him out my big loop for a regular one, knowing that the big ones are popular with Cowboy shooters, so he should be able to make a profit on it.

He said that a new one would need to be fitted, otherwise the action job I had had done on the rifle would not work as well. If I would send him my gun, he'd swap it out, and only charge me THIS MUCH to fit the new lever.

I've still got the big loop.

#14 ·
How are the 16" 94's in .357?
Fantastic - after some work. I have a .357 'Trapper' in 16" and after a couple years of tinkering and internal work I have it running like a Rolex! I can operate it as fast as I can with no jamming. I did discover an odd part that was about 80% of my original cycling problems and after removal most of my problems went away. I don't know what it is called but it is a thin stamped device that rode up in the breechbolt and from what I could see was causing the rounds to rise and fall before chambering. The Mirokus' are outstanding. Every time I am in my local Sportsman's Warehouse I have to 'fondle' an 1873 they have in stock. I also have a 1968 Buffalo Bill Commemorative which is a smooth as glass and I recently bought a 1966 100 year Commemorative which has been a challenge to get to cycle properly due to the gold plated receiver which tightened things up considerably and took quite a bit of work to clean and loosen up due to unremoved gold 'flashing' on the inside of the receiver.

#15 ·
I've seen a few Ubertis/Taylor Co 94's. How reliable are these guns? Thanks again for everyone's feedback!

#16 ·
Neither Uberti nor Taylor lists a 94. Which one are you asking about?

#18 ·
I have an Uberti 73. 44/40. Fine gun. Heavy as hell, but it's a rifle with a 24-inch octagonal barrel. Get you a carbine with a 20-inch one and it's a pound or so lighter.

Up until Winchester brought back the 73, just recently, Uberti was your only choice. Lots of folks import 'em, and sell 'em under their name - Taylors, Cimarron, EMF - but it's all the same gun.

And as I said (leastways, I think I said it :p) the boys that are FAST in cowboy all seem to be using the 73. Has to be worked on, of course. Get a "short stroke" action job, which makes the lever-throw less. Get an aluminum elevator, which make your rechambering quicker.

Or so the fast boys say. :)

#19 ·
Thanks for the info Alpo. I've only recently learned about Uberti so I know very little about them. Would you say it's quality is just as good as the Wimchester? Also, what is entailed in doing a short stroke job and how much does it cost?

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.