Reactive clay target device

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Tony Mig, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I came up with a new reactive target system to use at the rifle range while shooting my M1A.

Using an 8 foot length of re-bar...(painted white for visability)...I propped it up between two target stands.
    I took several clay pigeons...(the orange ones)...and I cut mono fishing line at 20 and 36 inches. Using a hot glue gun, I attatched the two loops of 20" mono to half the clays, and two loops of the 36" mono to the other half of the clays.

I laced the mono loops over the re-bar, staggering the two different sizes, this way I could fit 10 clay targets close together with every other one high and low, and leave a little space on the ends so not to hit either target stand.

Started out at 50 yards and hit all ten in 11 shots...(too easy)...so I moved it out to the 75 yard line, and was surprised at how another 25 yards makes it a lot harder, but once I got my sights alined, I did pretty good with them.

It's a lot more fun shooting something that either falls over, or breaks apart when hit, and when that 7.62 X 51mm full metal jacket hits those clays, they break in a big way.

As we drink a lot of bottled water here, I got another idea for some reactive targets. I drilled a small hole in the cap, and threaded a piece of mono through it, tied a knot on the inside to hold it, and a loop on the other, when I get ready to go to the range, I'll pull a few drops of red food coloring in each, and fill them with water, then hang them on the re-bar, and see how they react to those high powered .30 calibre bullets.......;)

I'll also bring along more clays too.......:)
  2. warpig

warpig Guest

That is always fun until some joker from the other end of the line shoots to cut your strings;);)

I have been known to cut a few with my AR15:p
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hey Tony, try it with raw eggs! It's a blast!
  4. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

I use 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water, they are easy to hit and boy do they have a reaction when hit.
    Ask your range master if you can use binary targets
    www.tannerite.com you will like these if you like reactive targets. They are spendy but they get peoples attention.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Exploding targets are a deffinite "NO-NO" at this place, as is any type of food substance. They have enough of a problem with the local deer population wandering onto the field of fire without any bait laying around to attract them.

Warpig, if you can cut monofiliment fishing line with a .223 at 75 yards, then you'd be welcome to it. I experimented with some copper #10 telegraph wire, and fabricated them into holders for the clays, but they are quite easy to hit, and I nailed three of them..(without trying of course)...and when you hit'em, they shake all the other clays off, so I'm sticking to the fishing line.

Sat in the fire station yestarday, and got paid to glue up another 40 clays, so I'm ready for next weekend.....;)
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Okay, your ange is against anything in the good food groups! :D :D

How about moth balls? No, not the little ones ya have to catch, those napthalene kind! Small and not real easy to shoot!
  7. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

inplanotx,

I'm not that good......:)

I've got a milk creat full of clays, and Dannon water bottles.

I took the caps off a bunch of water bottles, drilled a small hole through the middle, ran a piece of fishing line through the hole, tied a knot in it, and a loop on the other end. I wrapped each bottle with a band of bright yellow and orange colored tape, and filled them with water. After I blow through my clays, I'll hang these bottles up on the re-bar, and see how they take 7.62mm FMJ at high speed......

Gotta pull a 24 hour shift tomorrow...(Saturday)...at the fire dept, and when I get off duty on Sunday morning, I'll head straight for the range with my Springfield M1A, and maybe a handgun or two.....
  8. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

The water bottles didn't cut it........

The range master told me I had to move my targets out to the 100 yard line since they're concerned about bullets skipping off the ground and flying over the burm. I can still see the orange colored clays at that distance...although just barely.....:cool:
    The water bottles faded into obscurity at that distance, even with the bright color tape, I couldn't see them well enough to hit them with any regularity.

I need to make a couple of adjustments to the length of the fishing line to get more of a separation between the clays. I had them too close, and a couple of times I hit one clay, and when it shattered it broke the clay next to it, beyond that this little reactive target system of mine has been a lot of fun.

Other ideas are in the works......;)
  9. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Go with the gallon jugs or 2 liter bottles. Another thing we do is make steel siloettes of animal shapes( Mostly cats) and enjoy the whang of a bullet hitting them. Soft point ammo just goes splat and no real ricoshete problems.
    Sorry about the horrible spelling.
  10. warpig

warpig Guest

Cutting line at 100 yards is easy with an accurate rifle. I can do it with the peep sights on my AR.

Think about it. If you can put a few bulletts inside an inch at 100 yards then you have a pretty darn good chance of hitting the line.

When I did it we had a bunch of targets some of them binary hanging from wood frames in front of a berm. The guys next to me were shooting at the targets. I was shooting just above the top of the target where I knew the line to be tied on. I did not cut a line with every shot but I was cutting them fast enough to aggravate the other shooters.

We were using baling twine so that makes it a bit easier than monofilament but the method will still work with monofilament.

When I was a kid I used to shoot shotshell primers with my .22 from 20 yards and also put empty .22 shells on blades of grass and back up until you can barely see it and shoot it off.
    Both of these tricks are harder than cutting line at 100 yards with a good AR15.
  11. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Damn Piggy, you're making me want another AR-15.....:eek:

I had one 20 years ago, and I could knock a flea off a coke bottle at 100 yards with that thing.....and it was cheaper to shoot than this M1A.......but there's nothing like the feeling of power when shooting 7.62mm......:D

I got a couple of those bright orange plastic Tide liquid detergent bottles, I'll fill those up with water and pluck at them too.....
  12. warpig

warpig Guest

I know what you mean about the power of the bigger guns. I love to shoot my AR and it is cute and fun and accurate but it does not compare to the testoserone that oozes from me when I shoot my Garand or M1A.