The Firearms Forum banner

Reading One Second After changed my mind.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jce07a 
#1 ·
After reading this book it has me doing alot of thinking.I always said if shtf I would head for the hills but now I dont think thats a great idea.At least according to what a read.I know thats only one senario but its eye opening.Sounds like thats what the majority would do.I think I would hunker down right where im at.Then having an escape route planned as a backup.I thinks its gonna be the people on the governments dime thats gonna hurt the most and probably would be the most dangerous.Reading this book opens your eyes on how quick you fellow man would turn on you and try to take what you have.If anyone has read this book id be curious to here your take on it.

#2 ·
I am getting ready to read that book. I have always said that the hills are the last place I am heading if SHTF. If a person already is establihed in the hills with a residence, then fine. But if not, I don't think it would be wise to go there. Many guys say they can live off the land but then again most of the guys I know have to have 2 truck loads of belongings to survive for one 3 day weekend. I think that if a man takes his family to the mountains to try and survive, I believe he would be a target for the real established mountain men. As for the city person, or the small town guy, he who can hunker down and discipline himself to fast and save his food will be the survivor. I do believe the established country folks will have the edge. That is my opinion.

#3 ·
i've read the book but also seen what happened in Sarajevo and Bosnia

folks in the cities in highrises where wiped out systematically in the first few days in some area that the islamists took over and the rest pretty much destroyed by those trying to remove them or who replaced them after they where killed

folks in small country side communitys who had some food stocks and weapons where bypassed as not being worth the effort and losses to take them out

when folks got together they stood a way better chance of getting out alive

some small town lost no-one to the fighting , they blocked off their towns

but later when they hide the serbs where bombed into extinction by the UN

the Un did not attack the islamists in fact from that conflict no islamist have been even charged only those who fought back and beat the islamist where found and charged

how you would fight back there depends on ho the enemy is

if its a financial collapse and no welfare then it'll be welfare gangs if you can organise these should not be too hard to fight off and convince your too much trouble too ..

if you cant dont try to go it alone in the city

get out as fast as you can , dodge everyone , watch those whom you approach for as long as possible and if with family ensure you act for the slowest among you , dont overstretch , and most of all think ..

if its against a UN type force

remember a snakes screwed without the head ...

take off a few heads and watch it back off and no one wishing to be in command or only from a long way away and that helps too

#5 ·
Highboy , i agree that not many folks can really live well off the land

and even those who can prefer not too, but you also got to understand country folks

ok you have some friends with land , you can knock up temp accomodations and as there'll also be shortages of fuel and fertilizers and such all that will be hard manual work , but with a few folks working at it , it can be done with not much materials

my place here could support 20 folks and we'd all eat ok

and some like me are joked about as preppers

over the years i've bought and stashed tools seed grains foods water containers and filters clothing and fixings for self defence ..

information ( like the fox fire series) and the way to make it available too so folks can learn how to go back to basics and live well

but we've 300 million jihadis off out coast , and i'm a long term player ..

and funny thing is i dont expect to use it , but not everyone will make that first trumpet call , and its them who'll really be needing eh ..

#6 ·

and even those who can prefer not too, but you also got to understand country folks

ok you have some friends with land , you can knock up temp accomodations and as there'll also be shortages of fuel and fertilizers and such all that will be hard manual work , but with a few folks working at it , it can be done with not much materials

over the years i've bought and stashed tools seed grains foods water containers and filters clothing and fixings for self defence ..

information ( like the fox fire series) and the way to make it available too so folks can learn how to go back to basics and live well

and funny thing is i dont expect to use it , but not everyone will make that first trumpet call , and its them who'll really be needing eh ..
I agree Jack. If a person has somewhere established to go that's the ticket right there. But, so many plan to hit the road and go into no mans land and literally live from what they kill. I believe it will be the country folks that have the means for survival that will make it. It won't be the city folks and it won't be the independents that are in the hills with no means of shelter or food reproduction.

The thing I did not state Jack is when SHTF, I'm coming to your place brother.:)

#8 · (Edited)
oh i uploaded this for you

http://minus.com/mbrIkcMiII/6f

the first half is relevant , the second half is specifically about a pandemic scenario and societal breakdown that way ...

same directory , the first 5 foxfire books , real survival living by folks from the Appalachian mountains documented in the 60's by a guy who had a stroke of brilliance , communities working together.. water powered saw mills , shoe making candle making , storing food , preserving, etc etc etc , the really needed info on living

guns are important but you gotta be able to live ,

theres 12 books now

http://www.foxfire.org/

#9 ·
May I recommend lights out and Patriots, Both very possible scenarios.

#10 · (Edited)

Same here Jack. How long are you prepping for? Here in America I don't think that this country will be without some form of Government for very long. Too many natural resources for it to lay un-governed for very long. I'm adding farming tools to my stock, just wish I had the money to buy the farm animals I realy think I'll need. One thing at a time. Just purchased more room for food stores.

#11 ·
Where does faith fit in here? Do any of you christians trust that God will help get you thru? Dont get me wrong, we have to do our part I completely believe that but, I dont see any mention here. Just wondering what part he plays in this scenario.

#12 ·
Where does faith fit in here? Do any of you christians trust that God will help get you thru? Dont get me wrong, we have to do our part I completely believe that but, I dont see any mention here. Just wondering what part he plays in this scenario.
I'm planning on having my brother, and his family. He is a preacher, so we will still be have regular church, but with guards. I firmly believe that none of us will make it thru without God's help. My faith in God, and in God's will is a strong part of my life. Prayer is the best thing we can have in a shtf scenario. It will be better than guns, ammo, or food, and water. Still, I think that I need to provide as much of these things as I can. After all, God did give me the ability to gain these things from the financial blessings he has provided.

#13 ·
You hit the nail on the head. My plan is to stay put because there are alot of folks around me that are seniors and they served our country well. I would go and visit them and I would offer to pray with anyone. I have food, clothes, guns, ammo, and comfort here, but there will be many without. My guns are for the opponent, or the enemy which I WILL NOT RUN FROM. But I believe that God can and will work through anyone that is willing to take up that cross and follow. And if I die serving God in this manner, there is not a better cause to die for..

I wanted to bring that point up but this was not a religion thread. Thanks Dan.

#15 · (Edited)
Haven't been here in a while, forgot how good the stuff is here. This post hits close to my heart, and 76Highboy got my attention even more with his faith comment. I, too, will trust God to help us through what many 'experts' are saying will come. If we look at Greece and other countries, at some point our country will have to cut costs, and sooner or later that will probably include welfare-type payments. That's when those experts say the shtf. And though food and water will be high on the list of things people will wanta steal, guns and ammo may be at least as high on that list.
We, too, will hunker down, only questions is will we go to my daughters house or they come here. Depends on all the factors yall have discussed, the actual nature of the s that htf.
jack404, love your signature partner. It's amazing how meany have fallen for the polar bear on the little ice-patch photo.
carver, good to see you're still around, always enjoy your posts.
BTW, some of those 'experts' I've read say within 18 months.

#16 · (Edited)
A few years back there was a diary of a guy that survived the fall of thier economy (I can't remember the country but it was in South America). Whether it was true or not there was some good info. He was in a small city (bigger than a town but smaller than major metro), Used 14 kt god and silver for trade. Said 24 kt was worthless due to all the fraud, and silver coins and 14 kt gold jewlery were great for trade. He stayed put and traded for things he needed, was always armed and they formed small groups to share goods and labor. It comes down to common sense and not being scarred. I live in the country, have some land and will stay put and have a small group to share resources. Besides what has been said we will all need meds and antibineed otics, the bad point on this is our own government has changed the rules. You used to be able to get samples at the dr office or if you new a nurse that worked for a dr. that person can no longer get antibiotic samples from the drug reps. We will all need good med kits and meds, water purifiers, food seeds, fuels, arms and ammo for hunting and self defense and the basic survival stuff (plus a lot of help from God). I have kept an old diesel tractor just because you could make it run on just about any type of fuel. I think the people in large metro areas will have a harder time due to population with a finite amount of resources. I truely hope that we don't have to go thru this. It will not be fun!!

#17 ·
76, I know you know thhis- but after the first era of a breakdown, the city folks who survive will be heading for the countryside to find people like you, who were smart enough to be prepared. At that point, and again I'm not pretemnding to tell you something you don't know already, but at that point the stashed ammo will become critical.
I keep trying to build up a large stash, but since I joined a shooting club, I end up shooting most of it. One of those 'kinda good problems to have.'

#18 ·
There is one thing I would like to bring to this conversation, and that is fire! If you live in the city, or in the country, and plan to stay where you are you need to be wary of fire. Not just for your use, but as a weapon against you. You can bullet proff some areas of your home, but making it fire proff is another thing! Molotov cocktail anyone!

#20 ·
I'm adding farming tools to my stock, just wish I had the money to buy the farm animals I realy think I'll need.
start with chickens, and goats, they arent too hard and if you play your cards right they can provide plenty of benefits (eggs, milk, etc) and if you look in the local for sale ads im sure you can find someone tired of 3 or 4 goats and some chickens that you can pick up for cheap or free if you are a smooth talker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.