The Firearms Forum banner

Ready to buy, but i need advice

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
Ok, I finally got my pistol permit, so now it is time for my first piece. I have always been a fan on the 1911, and am sure that is what I want. I would prefer a full size 5 inch barrel, and nothing flashy. i want a dark gun, im not a big fan of nickel or stainless steel. maybe for my second but not for my first purchase. and ofcourse i want .45 ACP. I dont have enough money to buy new, so i will be looking used. I just dont want to end up with some random 1911 that isnt up to the standard.

anyone have some input? how about an idea of what i should be spending?

I am not afraid of doing some work to the gun down the road as money comes available, I spent 7 years in the Marine Corps, so i have no problem with cleaning, modifing, and tweeking, the gun. but i am still a newbe when it comes to the 1911 (atleast i say i am)

thanks

#2 ·
If you can swing it, go for a Kimber. Used ones can be found for a good price. You might also look into a Springfield or a Para Ordnance. Taurus also makes a 1911 but I personally would stay away for it, heard too many bad things about recent semi's having problems. Good luck with your search!

#3 · (Edited)
Go to AuctionArms.com,*********.com and Gunsamerica.com This will give you a good idea of what you can expect to pay. Problem is, The Obama factor has inflated prices.

As far as what to buy, There's Gonna be alot of disagreement here!
Lowest to highest I recomend...,

Springfield ..... I don't own one, I own their M1A, and it's great.
Colt ..... I own two, Can't beat in my book
Kimber.... Know owners of these, they swear by 'em.
Les Baer ....Probably my next one.

that covers about 800 to 2000 of your hard earned dollars.
What ever you buy look to wilson combat, for new recoil springs, and shock buffs.

Semper Fi!

#4 ·
thanks, i will check those sites out. is there any way i can see what that second site is? all i see is ********************

#6 ·
what does that mean just got my pistol permit? hugh?

although there are many used pistols on the market and many of them are great i suggest not buying a used gun. from time to time you will see stories of poeple with problem guns even on this fourm and they end up selling the gun off. my 02 is to find the best that you can afford and get a new one with a warranty. once you buy a gun the sale is final. that means tuff sh!t to you if you get screwed. at least with a new gun and warranty you have some recourse to send back to the factory for repair. autoloaders can be funny. i would never buy a used autoloader unless i was willing to take the chance.

#7 ·
well in the state of connecticut you need a pistol permit to carry, and i really dont want to buy a gun if i cant do anything but keep it in the house. besides, with a permit you can walk in, fill out the forms, pay the tab, and take it home, if not there is a long wait and a lot of BS.

thanks for the input on the used part, and i do agree, but i will have to see what is out there. i really want to get something before the obama effect really sets in. then maybe i can get new. unless you know of some inexpensive new guns, maybe Taurus???

thanks

#8 ·
For a budget 1911, I would look at the Charles Daly line. Used, Check out the Springfield Mil Spec or loaded Model. Kimber is my out of the box favorite and can be found on the used market at reasonable prices. Just remember, almost any 1911 can be made to be accurate and reliable with a little tweeking. You may get lucky and buy a "problem pistol " for not a lot of money and make the necessary repairs. One thing I will stress, buy good mags.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BTW, check our Buy / Sell /Trade Forum. You may find a 1911 there to fit your budget.

#9 ·
ok, well i guess i will get a few new mags almost no matter what, maybe wilson combat???

i really want a springfield, but i will see what i can find. as for charles daly i have never heard of them, i guess i need to do a little research, thanks.

i will check that forum right now, i dont know why i didnt start there.

#10 ·
Those web sites have new in box, as well as used. it's just a good way to see what is out there, and what people are paying at the moment. As some dealers are gouging customers right now.

The Charles Daly are made in the Philippines. The Wilson gonna set you back about $2500. If your pockets are that deep GO FOR IT! I have never heard a bad word about them, other than the price.

#11 ·
oh yea, i looked at the wilson web site, its a lot of money, but i have fired some colts that were worked over by wilsons and WOW is all i can say. I was refering to the mags, wilson mags cant be that much, but ive been wrong before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.