Real lucky...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by delta13soultaker, Nov 3, 2007.

1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

A few nights ago one of my riding buddies t-boned a car making an illegal turn. (A truck changing lanes masked the car driver's view of the bike 2 seconds and that's all it took.) If it'd been an SUV instead of a car, Dave would be seriously hurt or dead.

There was no time to even touch the brakes. He hit at 40mph and flipped over the trunk so hard his body bent his handlebars. His only injuries are several bruises and a broken kneecap...i.e. crutches.

The '07 Harley Street Bob...well not sooo much. Totalled. But the insurance claims rep said it sounds like Dave will be on an '08 soon. (I'm kinda jealous cause mines an '07...lol...but whatever it takes to ride with Dave again is cool)

He got lots of support and help real fast. Guys on cruisers and crotchrockets rallied to the scene. I added a pic of my buddy Jackie's hand where some jagged steel cut him up, hit a bone and needed 8 stitches, when lifting the 650 pound bike into a pickup. (Pics from my phone, so my apologies for the bad quality...)

Want to add...at intersections...take an extra second to ensure the oncoming lanes really are clear.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Buy Dave a Lottery Ticket, QUICK!! :) He is a Lucky Man!
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Lucky indeed! :eek:
  4. Glad it was no worse, Delta. It so easily could have been. :(
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

God certainly was riding with him !!!!!
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

That is the hard way to get a new bike.

That knee could bother him for a while.
    Glad it wasn't any worse.
  7. delta13soultaker

Yep, he mighta had an angel close by that night.

And yes sir we're gonna watch that knee. He was running a six-thirty mile, but won't run on it again until February. He is tough tho...he insisted on driving the truck with his bike home. "It's just a bone!"

There's a story here, up to the wreck, I can't tell, to protect the guilty. Maybe out of respect for the guilty.

But that 2 hours after...well I believe in luck but not coincidences. Some people say irony, but I quit believing in that most times too. Some things happen so clearly by design that they must be for a reason.

I had a friend named Joseph. One night he was out in front of us in a loaded vehicle and a blast threw us off the road. His vehicle had an armor kit but there was a gap in the plates near the back tires; gap about as wide as a pack of smokes is thick. Well a piece of metal half the size of a dime flew through that gap, under his helmet, and into his head. His helmet was the new ACH...30% less surface area. A week ago he had the old style and that metal would've hit kevlar instead of him. The timing of the blast was perfect. Speed of our trucks was perfect. Our ears were ringing but nobody else had a scratch. All I had for my friend was a poncho to wrap him in and saline to IV into him...he was too far for anesthetic. He got flown out but died in Germany. It was just meant to be. It couldn't have been more perfectly designed. I remember Joseph's memorial...3 of the troopers in the firing party were mine and they all used ball ammo that sounded puny to me even in volleys after the blast...all I could remember was a black dusty road that smelled like cold diesel fuel. That night Dave was far enough away he avoided the smells and sights I recall but he can tell you the rest better than me...everything after the task at hand is a black spot to me still.

This night Dave hit the car...he flew over the trunk...not headfirst into the roof. In a split second he was on his feet running off the road...traffic screeching by...he was running on a broke kneecap. Lots of nights before his wife was on the back of that bike...but not that night...she was at home watching her team play.

When we got to his garage Dave's wife was standing and waiting barefoot for us in the cold wearing a Saints pullover. They had just won a game too. I see her several nights a week on local TV and on the screen she looks 5'11", but when she hugs us all she barely is as tall as the pockets on my shirt. She smells like new shampoo and when she is gone I smell mix of gasoline and brake fluid again...it's a smell that makes you constantly look down at your clothes. Reminds me of a musty poncho and diesel mud.

An off duty fireman had wrapped Jackie's hand but by now he bled through it. My old boss. Tough old bastrard...only Georgia could grow em that tuff... leads the way to haul off that bike like it's a toy. The next day his hand is in a soft cast...he throws it away so he can scratch the stitches while we work out in the morning.

Me and Dave sat a couple nights now on his porch drinking coffee with some kinda strong Irish creamer...lol. He's doing good. His wife talks alot about a new bike. I make my jokes...in the morning we'll be on that porch again before I go in to work so I'll go easy on that Irish anesthetic/creamer.

Yeah...I think somebody was riding by Dave that time. Maybe the Saints too.
  8. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Sounds to me like you have some good friends, don't let them get away.
  9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:eek: wow! your friend was very lucky! no doubt it was by design.;)
  10. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Glad your buddy is Ok. I've had 3 friends killed on bikes in accidents that weren't their fault.
  11. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks for the story Delta...I had a good friend go down a couple months ago who wasn't as lucky as yours. It really made me pause and think about my own daughter and wonder if we dont live too fast sometimes...Then again, there is a guy that I've known since I was a little kid who has always lived a very modest life and is the epitome of health who had a heart attack last week... I guess if it is your time, you aint hiding from it.

I wish your friend the best and hope that knee gives less trouble than an busted elbo later in life.

Crpdeth
  12. delta13soultaker

Thanks yall. They are great friends and yeah he was lucky in a lot of ways...lot lot lota ways. That image keeps going through my mind and I know if it woulda been an SUV he would of died on impact with the door column. (Steel frames + high-speed head impact only = death)

Pop...yeah man I believe that. Sometimes ya can do everything right and still get dusted by an inexperienced person or somebody distracted by answering there phone in the middle of sending a text while stirring their coffee and plugging their damn Ipod into the charger! The safest riders drive with the mental knowledge that every car, truck and van on the road desires to kill him lol
    Some people on 4 wheels think guys on bikes are ***holes, but not true...we just want to get to our destination alive and cannot trust anyone in a car unless thay are 1/4 mile away lol

Crpdeth...some people live fast, some live slow...the main thing is that no matter how long or short you lived here you always felt alive bro. It's our job to figure out how to live...God and the Devil sort out when to bring us home lol

We're gonna wait to see how that kneecap effects his career. He has unlimited potential outside his duty MOS and the best healthcare providers ya can ask for...so that's no crisis. Based on my own broken bones though...I'm gonna bet he's gonna feel it deep inside his whole life everytime rain is on the way.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  13. noslolo

noslolo New Member

touching story, I hope your friend heals well, and you hold on to your friendship for a lifetime.
  14. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Hey Delta, My instincts make me believe you and your friend are in the good company of true friends. Glad he made it with as little injuries as he received. I also agree with you that he will feel the knee for a lot longer than it takes to "heal". Especially during a weather change. You can't chose your relatives so chose wisely your friends. I think you have chosen well, as has he. catfish
  15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Well said Redneck!

Delta, I can relate to those broken bones, but as you have said a few times here...At least it wasn't his neck or his scull...

Keep us updated on his progress, would you?

What is his MOS BTW? Hopefully nothing too strenuous.

Crpdeth