REAL Winchester 1873 44 caliber

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mobius1080, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mobius1080

mobius1080 New Member

Ok so I am sure I am going to get alot of slag for this but I just inherited a real Winchester 1873 in 44 caliber (I assume it means 44-40 since that was the only 44 it was chambered in back then)

I know its worth some money, but I am not worried about money, I want to shoot it, I am in the process of getting the manual from Winchester in the mail, my question is, is it even going to be safe to fire, I of course will be looking it over piece by piece then taking it to a "trusted" gunsmith, but I just wanted some opinions on it, the gun is 100 years old it was my grandfathers favorite gun and he shot it alot before he was unable to go to the range anymore.
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum hang up someone will help u, can u post a picture so i can see what it looks like
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Get some of the lower power "cowboy action" ammo, or if you reload use black powder.
  4. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Please do post some pics......
    we love us some pics....
    and Welcome to TFF

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The '73 Winchester used the same toggle lock action as the '66 and the Henry. It is not an especially strong action and many of the old guns are worn out and loose. Unless the gun is in very good condition, you want to check the insides. Carefully remove the sideplates and check the action for looseness. Make sure the receiver supports the bolt properly, also, as they often wear at that point. If everything is tight and seems OK, you can check (or have a gunsmith check) the headspace. If all is OK, I see no reason not to shoot the old timer with moderate "cowboy" loads.

Jim