Really disappointed with Henry customer service

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by The Count, Oct 25, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

I have a thread going with the reloading section regarding handloads for the Big Boy in 357. Without getting into those details, here my experience with Henry today...

PS If anybody with the same rifle could let me know what they shoot with and what kind of accuracy can be expected at 50 and maybe 100 yards.

"Today I called Henry customer support because I figured who would no better than the gun manufacturer, right? Big disappointment. As to my question which factory ammo is best for the Big Boy in 357 I got a 'all ammo is good' answer. And then to the second question if 125 grain bullets would be more accurate than 158 grain, which an old timer told me, a similarly useless answer like 'thats one person's opinion'.

Lastly, which reloading powder/bullet combinations they might recommend. Answer was we don't test reloads nor factory ammo for accuracy.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CLUELESS ROBOTS! First and last Henry I will ever get."
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The Count:

The real answer is every gun, even guns that are exactly the same externally, are different. Each has its own likes and dislikes in ammo.

To find the most accurate ammo you have to test it all or develop reloads. That means shooting at least five 5 shot groups at the test range (50 or 100 in your case) and averaging the results for every different ammo. The ammo that averages the best groups is the one that your particular gun likes best and not necessarily the one your buddies identical gun likes. When reloading you have to try different bullets, different amounts of powder from the starting load to the maximum load (stop if you see signs of excessive pressures).

Whether your gun likes 124 or 158 grain bullets is a function of your particular gun. In one ammo brand it may like 125 grainer and in another brand it may be 158 or some other weight bullet. It all depends on your particular gun.

No manufacturer can recommend one ammo over another for your particular gun with any kind of accuracy without performing the testing suggested above on your gun. And NO manufacturer will recommend ANY reloaded ammo if he is listening to his lawyers. Most instruction books that come with guns cancel the warrantee if the gun is shot with reloads. That's because there is no control over reloads. Some are good and some are dangerous.

While I am not a Henry fan (far from it) the answers they gave you about ammo for your Henry skirted the issues, as any manufacturer of guns would do. The best most will tell you is not to use the cheapest ammo and NEVER use reloads. Don't blame Henry as they were doing exactly what any other manufacturer would be forced to do by their lawyers and the nature of guns.

LDBennett
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. The Count

The Count New Member

]@LDBennett

If the person would have explained things the way you just did that would have been fine.

And I just got en email from the company president saying he was sorry for the poor service I received, that I was right to be an unhappy camper and would make up for it.
  4. jim brady

jim brady Active Member

LDBennet is perfectly correct. The problem for the manufacturer is that if they tell someone to load up a certain combination of components, and the reloader messes things up (him/herself and/or the rifle with a mishap) the manufacturer is in for a world-class law suit. That's why they have to tell you to stick with quality factory ammo.

Sounds like you have a nice rifle there. Why not just enjoy it, and if you are a reloader, safely work up the perfect load for that particular rifle. Bet that would be satisfying and a lot of fun, to boot! Don't let that experiance with customer service spoil your fun. Sometimes I don't 'splain things like I ought to, either. Think we all do that from time-to-time.

Never owned a Henry, but did manage to shoot one a while back. Little .22 lever rifle. Quality seemed to be in line with the price range for it. I'm starting to think about looking for a lever rifle in .45 Colt for the farm for coyotes at close range. Hopeing for a carbine that will group about 3 inches or so at 100 yards with open sights. Something like "minute of fur' accuracy....
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I have had several contacts with Henry customer service and was very pleased. My problems were taken care of promptly. Repair parts were sent to me at no charge for a second hand gun. Very satisfied.:):)
  6. The Count

The Count New Member

Well, I told the story exactly the way it happened to the company president and he said they messed up too. Sending me a free gun case. At least they are trying now...

That they don't test their own guns for accuracy is totally unacceptable. Its like a violin maker saying 'we never play our own instruments so don't ask us how they sound or which strings to use'
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The Count:

Your expectations are way too high!

All manufacturers test fire their guns before shipment, to the best of my knowledge. The shooting is a function test. Very, very few shoot a target and include it with the gun. My CZ's came with a test target and my expensive 22LR conversion for my 1911 from Marvel Precision came with an astonishing test target. To expect a bottom of line rifle to come with a test target is too high of an expectation, in my opinion. These are cheapy guns made to sell at a low price point. If you saw a test target from them you might not buy the rifle, in my opinion. If you want an accurate precision gun you have to pay for it.

Some gun makers will tell you what ammo they use for function testing but that will not give you a clue as to what ammo is most accurate in your gun.
    The only information you can glean from knowing what ammo they use is that their guns function well with it and the manufacturer gets a good deal on it in bulk buys.

In your example of the violin maker, you bought the equivalent of a inexpensively made production violin, made by assemblers who can't play a note.

Sorry.

LDBennett
  8. The Count

The Count New Member

Ha ha, good analogy. But most forums touted henry as being a 'quality rifle' with very slick action. I guess its all relative...
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

The Count:

The report of being a "quality rifle" are from current owners with little gun experience.

On the Henry's I have inspected the receivers are pot metal (inexpensive zinc alloy) covered with a highly polished brass cover. That is not quality but the sign of a gun made to sell cheap. The gun may be adequate but it is most certainly not a quality firearm.

When you buy a real Winchester 92 or a Browning 92 clone of a Winchester 92 or even a Winchester 94 in 357 then you are buying quality in a lever gun. The Marlins don't even qualify as quality for me. The ones I have owned don't even come close to the above guns and each Marlin had accuracy problems. The Italian clones also are adequate but don't quite deserve the quality label. Most take a good gunsmith to make them good enough for Cowboy competition, for example.

In guns more often than not you get what you pay for and Henry's are inexpensive. Henry's serve a purpose: the bottom of the market.

This all, of course, is my opinion (based on nearly 50 years of gun experience) and your opinion may differ.

LDBennett
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"Hello, GMC? I'd like to know which brand of gasoline will give me the best mileage - Shell, Chevron or BP? You don't know? Why don't you know? Don't you test every brand of gasoline to find out which would give the best mileage in your cars? Why not? As a customer I have the right to know this."
  11. The Count

The Count New Member

Hey Alpo, sorry, bad analogy. Gasoline is gasoline, the anti-knock additives really have nothing to do with the propellant. Gas of the same octane will perform exactly the same. Ammo is a totally different thing, IMHO. But using your example, the manufacturer does list in the manual the minimum octane rating a particular vehicle needs... I got ticked off because Henry offered NO useful info at all.

Anyway, think we can close this thread now.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

You have to understand to that the person on the other end of the phone they are just at a job. Most of them could care less about what your talking about. Most of them probably don't even own a gun. They are there to answer general questions and go through the motions. Not just Henry is like this but Taurus, Ruger and I had a run in with Sig and it was the same deal. They just answer the questions they have a flow chart for and try not to say anything that would get them slapped in the back of the head for saying to much. LD is absolutely right, every gun is different and for them to divulge in any info pertaining to loads just sets them up for liability if the person calling doesn't know anything about reloading. Should they have said that? Well maybe but for a CSR on their first week of work they may not know that. And now because of that maybe Henry's response will change if posed with the same question.
  13. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i only have 54 years of experiance with firearms and this is the one and only time i have ever disagreed with mr bennet on anything.i currently have two henry rifles and have been shooting them for years.i also have winchesters and marlin in 22 caliber and both have had glitches at times.the henrys have never had a failure,i have mixed every kind and size in the magazine and have never had a ftf.yes they are made of a type of "pot metal"but as long as it wears properly and is safe in no way makes it the bottom of the barrell.i own some knives that are very expensive but that did not make them sharper or stronger than some others i own that are made of the same material.as was said by the very knowledgable mr bennet its my opinion and it may not be yours.please be aware that i mean no disrespect to anyone. old semperfi
  14. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

:eek:

You mean the strings are keeping me from being being a pro violinist?:eek:

Blasphemy!:mad:

Seems to me, Henry kissed your butt, gave you a hug, and you're still not satisfied.:rolleyes:

Ya want them to shoot the deer, skin it, and butcher it too?
  15. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

lol

i make furniture, i wouldnt have any idea which brand of paste wax or furniture polish is best. i would use whatever i had around.
  16. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Some one mentioned the quality of the Henrys above, They are a Case Gun at best anymore. They are what you'd call a 50 fter LOL. every one of em I inspected were cheap made and dont get my father talking about quality either cuz he dont have anything nice to say about the Henry's beeing produced these days. I have heard that man cuss them things up one side and down the other, and knowin my day the only reason he didnt break the damn thing was that it belonged to a customer LOL.
  17. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I bought a Henry Golden Boy a few years back and I am totally satisfied with the quality. I find that the fit and finish are excellent and I expect the rifle to long out live any person on this forum.
  18. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

we've all seen it so it should come at no surprize .... THE DEATH OF CUSTOMER SERVICE. agreed the person answering the phone didn't have a clue and i also fully agree that it was an impossible question for the company to answer. but the caller as a comsumer/customer should of been directed to someone who could give him the correct information i.e. " all guns like different loads and there are way too many combinations that would alter the guns performance" including weather....
  19. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Sounds to me like you got the right answers from the get go.
    Which is best? How can that be answered? It all shoots. It's YOUR job to figure out which is best for your rifle.

125 vs 158? Again, that's YOUR opinion.

Reloading for accuracy? Are you serious? Do you really expect Henry to stand behind your experiments?:eek

Henry makes rifles that will shoot factory spec ammo. It's YOUR job to iron out the details for your rifle.

Maybe ya shoulda bought a rifle that cost three times as much. Would they commit to your handloads? Good luck with that.:rolleyes:

Sell your Henry, plunk down 700 bucks on another brand, then ask the same questions of the maker.

Check back later as I'm curious...
  20. daniel9ds

daniel9ds Former Guest

I am a newbie here and just wanna say Hi to everyone. I am Daniel from Pennsylvania, US.