(really) NEW TO FIREARMS!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by little.e, Feb 25, 2009.

1. little.e

little.e New Member

Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum in hopes to start something up with firearms. I have always been very intrigued with firearms and finally decided I want to be involved. Now, I have no idea where to start or begin with the process so if you guys would kindly help me out.

For example, do I research for a shooting range within my area and ask about lessons? Should I take some classes? (is there any classes for that?)

I know these are very 'stupid' questions but I really want to get into it and know no one I can inquire. Obviously, I'm really new to this so it would help to get a pretty detailed information to start up. I currently reside in San Diego, CA. I'm interested in all sorts of firearms: shotguns, handguns, semi-auto rifles, rifles in general. I would love to learn the usage and maintenance. Practically everything. I don't mean to use it as a general defense, more like a hobby, therefore, I'm not really interested in the joining the military.

I have not exactly been reading up on guns. The most knowledge I have about guns are from Counter-Strike (the game) and many other co-op games which I know doesn't give you much info given it is a game, compared to in real life situation everything is a lot more complicated.

I would greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Thank you!

-E :D
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome, you found an excellent forum.

If there is a range nearby that rents guns, you could try a variety of different ones that way. Guns make a good hobby!
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Stupid questions? Naaa, there is no such thing.

Welcome aboard.
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

If you are interested in rifle shooting, buy a .22 rifle and practice at the range. Most .22 rifles are reasonably priced, and the ammo is cheap.

Shotgun shooting? A pump action 20 gauge is a good first shotgun.

Handgun? Ruger's .22 Auto pistol has been the first handgun for thousands of new shooters.

Of course you already know that you cannot learn to shoot from video games, anymore than you can learn to swim by reading a book. You can get insights on shooting from airsoft or BB guns, but starting with a forgiving .22 will be your best bet.
  5. durk

durk New Member

Welcome little e. First you should probably move out of CA.:D But I hear the weather is great in San D. Sooooo, yes, take classes and get involved at a range.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Now you tell me, I nearly drowned !!!!

Nha, he's right, find a local range with nice people have a go, get some instruction and have some fun.
  7. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

There are several good indoor ranges in the San Diego area. I'm not upto date on the exact locations and names any more, having moved out of Cal over 10 years ago.

Check in here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

http://www.crpa.org/

There is a strong GrassRoots presence in San Diego, also. I'll do some checking around and see if I can find you a contact. When I lived there, I did most of my indoor range shooting up in Escondido. Partly because I lived in Mira Mesa, so it wasn't that far.

Pops
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  8. little.e

little.e New Member

Wow. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I really wasn't sure what kind of reaction I'd receive from such a post. :D

I shall begin looking into it, asap!

P.s. Armedandsafe:
    I live on mira mesa right now, so around the area would be awesome!
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Down 163 to Ruffin Rd is American Shooting Center. It was new when I was there, and still looks pretty, now.

We lived 18 years on Flanders Dr, a couple of blocks from the schools. Mixrd memories. Mostly good, though.

Browsing through theinternet yellow pages for "shooting range" for San Diego, Escondido, Oceanside, El Cajon (etc.) I find only a couple I recognise. The one down on Morena Blvd was a little run down and dumpy when I was there last, but the people were great. The shotgun range on the south side of the airstrip was military only when I was there, but appears to be open for civilians, now.

The thing is, get into a gun store and ask those dumb questions. Somebody will pick you up, and give you whole bunches of the information you need.

Pops
  10. cranky cj

cranky cj New Member

I guess I would advise you to back up a step and establish a budget on how much you 'want' to spend and how much you can 'afford' to spend when thinking about starting or taking up a new hobby.

Look at all the associated costs, range fees, ammunition, a gun or two (to start with), safety equipment (ear plugs, glasses, etc.) cleaning supplies, storage (gun safe?), education and training, etc.

See how fast it could add up. Most have been collecting these things throughout the years and the costs are not appearant. Start slow so if it turns out that it is not your cup of tea, you have not invested too much of your hard earned cash into a hobby that may turn out to not be for you. If it is for you, great.

Invest in education/training and safety equipment. THERE IS NO CUTTING CORNERS WITH SAFETY WHEN DEALING WITH FIREARMS. If you know somebody that can sponsor you and mentor you, all the better.

I hope this does turn out to be a hobby for you that lasts a lifetime. Good luck.
  11. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Welcome aboard! You have hit the jackpot with this site! I have never found a site that I learned so much from.
  12. artabr

artabr New Member

Welcome, Little E. You've come to the right place.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;) :)

Art
  13. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

:D:D:D:cool:

Welcome aboard pard.."no stupid questions here "..for sure as said...only the occansional Stupid Answer ....of course thats where I come in...:D

of course..check ranges..safety lessons...start with .22 pistol and rifle...I say rifle first to learn ballistics..pointing..etc...can shoot all day for peanuts on ammo costs...this site has good people who will help you.....and they have integrity when it come to advice...And I know integrity....I ..remember when I had it...!:D:cool:

welcome.....
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome little.e !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike
    gn
  15. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.