Reasons why I reload

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by woolleyworm, Feb 8, 2011.

1. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

There are many reasons why I reload, I've given it some thought and put together a list in order of importance to me. This may or may not motivate anyone else to reload, but I'm hoping it does.

1 - The abitlity to DO; meaning I have had a hand in it and not just throwing it in the basket at wally world. This nation is becoming a nation that no longer DOES much of what it used to; we are overwhelmingly just consumers of whatever china delivers us. I take pride in having some skills to craft and DO something tangible and hone my skills and not rely on some &^%$^&*% import junk.

2 - It's relaxing and enjoyable; reloading is a hobby that is nearly as enjoyable as going to the range and putting some rounds down range. The whole experience is enhanced when you know that you're the one driving your results at the range with your load development.

3 - Great people - There's alot of great people in the firearms world in general, but reloaders/handloaders tend to be the most friendly and easy going of the bunch. Maybe it's due to the fact that reloading takes much patience and attention to detail; this may transfer over to other things too. I don't tend to rush things in my life and try to slow things down so that I can enjoy what I have.

4 - Brain food - Reloading gives me a chance to use my brain and keep it functioning as best as possible. I think he helps me stay sharp; I hate crosswords and such, so this is a good replacement for stimulation.

5 - cost savings??? Nah, that's all a bunch of b.s., Really ! But I have got a good selection of high quality ammo, loaded to spec for my guns; at my disposal and ready anytime I am without having to run to the store. If I need more, I can have 50 rounds loaded up in less time than it would take me to run to the store and back.

Reloading is not for everyone and I certainly don't think less of anyone that doesn't. There are some people that just aren't able and that's ok. I would challenge any of us that shoot and love firearms to read at least one reloading manual though. It will give you great insight into just exactly what is happening when we pull the trigger.

Keep'em in the 10 ring,

Woolley
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I agree with you Woolley. One additional reason for me is that I and some of the Old Guys like wimpy loads just for plinking fun and you can't buy them but you sure can make them.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Are you stating that there is no cost savings with reloading?
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I mostly agree with what you are saying, I wouldn't put them in the same order though, my order would be:

2. It is very relaxing and enjoyable, to get away from everything for a while.

3. You are right about the greatest people.

1. My wife has plenty of things for me to DO.

5. I do think there is a pretty fair savings, it may not be huge but it is there.

4. I read a lot, I hope that keeps my brain functioning properly.
  5. woolleyworm

:D:D:D I haven't had one of those for awhile, but I do have a pretty darn amazing girlfriend, so I know what ya mean. Gotta keep'em happy! Fortunate for me, I was told the other night that I NEEDED to buy another hunting rifle...... darn the luck !! She wants a 30-06, so I guess I'll have to suffer the pain and start looking.... :D
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I'll swap with ya!! Every time I mention gun or shooting, mine raises all manner of %&#*.
  7. woolleyworm

This is all theory mind you, but if I look at what I "would" have spent on ammo and what I have spent on reloading equipment/components then I have spent waaay more on reloading; but I also have equity in my supplies and ammo on hand. I would never have bought $5k or more of ammo alone, but I've spent well over that in the last few years reloading. So as far as a botttom line dollar amount, No, I am not "saving" any money, but I am getting MUCH better value for what I am spending.

;) :D
  8. Texxut

Texxut Member

"..No, I am not "saving" any money, but I am getting MUCH better value for what I am spending."

That's it exactly, when we talk about saving money with our reloading.
  9. Whipper

Whipper New Member

I started reloading because I could not buy handgun ammo. Needed to be 21 I was 18. However, the guy behind the counter with great wisdom said you can buy all the stuff needed to make your own, and continued to say if I brought in empty rang brass all calibers he would take it in trade for the equipment and supplies needed to reload.

Next I knew I was at the rang and every shooting area around within 50 miles collecting brass. Been hooked ever since.

Haven’t saved much money but I do shoot a lot.:D
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

well said worm. I reload because the ammo factories cant make ammo as good as I can;)
  11. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

while not a seasoned loader, i have begun to undertake it for several reasons.

the first and main reason is cost. while i have little invested in the equipment thus far, from what i can tell the cost of each round of ammunition will be reduced around 40% this means for a box of 50 rounds, instead of paying 15.00 i'll be paying 9.00, and thus able to buy more ammo for the same cost.

the other reason is self sufficiency. i like woolleyworm dont want to be reliant on the supermarket for everything i need. while i have no problems with store bought ammo, i do have a problem with being a slave to the marketplace.

while im not into long range rifle or precision handgun or rifle yet, i do foresee that there will be a third factor. thats quality., i'll be able to make ammo that is specific to the guns i shoot and thus, more accurately
  12. vulcrider

vulcrider Member

I think you put forth in words exactly why I reload much better than I could!
  13. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Mine left me back in september!!!:D Just me!! Think god that we have no kids together!!
  14. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

1. Accuracy
    2. Relaxing activity.
    3. Another mechanical process, something I happen to like.
    4. The ability to create a round that you might not be able to buy.
    5. Great reading, and reference material.
    6. Independence.
    7. Can create rounds no longer in manufacture.
    8. The ability to convert brass made for one type of caliber to a different caliber.
    9. Casting your own bullets.
    10. There is something beautiful about a box of 50 rounds looking all brand new that you just finished reloading and all matched to the same specs. Satisfaction!
  15. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wolley and gdMoody said it well.I couldn't have said it better. JOE