The Firearms Forum banner

Reblue Colt 1911

Tags
12K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Helix_FR 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an old colt 1911 and thought I would like to get it reblued.

Now hears the problem, This 1911 has been in the family for eighty years plus.
It has been our house gun for longer than anyone can remember and has always served the family well. And I feel its time to retire the old girl because of her age and thought it would be nice to bring back the shine she once had.

Well I called the Colt people and asked if they could reblue it and they said sure.

Now hears the problem, when I gave them the serial no. C-7xxx ,they said no and wouldn't touch it.

Any thoughts ?

There is nothing wrong with this 1911 other than it needs to be reblued to bring her up to her former glory. Every thing is very clean and crisp and very little wear to any parts. She has about 50% original blue left.

#27 ·
But look what you got instead. The reason I asked is because I just had a J Giles built colt. I know there were several that had the sight rib but the Giles guns you would swear they were on ball bearings. The slide was like steel on ice.

#28 ·
I've never examined a J Giles built colt ,but have heard they are some of the best you can get. As for mine ,I think its nice but not as good as the Giles reputation.

What I would really like to have is the configuration I have now But with a 1 inch extended slide and barrel. ----Ah but we can only dream-- kinda like a short vertion of a long-tom slide

#30 ·
Years ago I knew of people buyng rough cast slides from Numric arms and building thier own long slides , but haven't seen them for sale in a long time. The cost of doing that today must be outrages. Just the cutting , welding, milling and refinishing must cost a fortune. But I still like the idea.

Gary

#31 ·
There are a few casting companies that are putting them out but you have to complete them. I can't remember if it was caspian or essex but they had one in the white ready to go. Barrels are easy. Clark, wilson, kart, storm lake, they all make a 6 inch barrel. Dang, now you got me think'n if I should forget buying a NIB HK P7 PSP and just get going on building one. :rolleyes::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.