Reblue Colt 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by grcsat, Feb 3, 2011.

1. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Here's a couple of pics.
    Sorry about the poor quality.
    The first one is the old colt, serial no c-7xxx Please note the original grips were taken off and put into storage due to the checkering becoming flat from use.
    And the next pic is of my other Colt that was given to me by the Colt Marketing Dep.

Attached Files:

2. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Oh yea I can see why your going for a re-blue that gun looks like crap , and the grips are shot too :eek:,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am so confused on why you want to do this to a piece of history, but its yours to ruin so go for it :confused:
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

You didn't read the complete thread did you ??
  4. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Ha musta had too much coffee :eek: , my reply was to grcsat original post but I see he has since changed thoughts :cool:, glad to here it would be ashame to restore such a fine piece , a really nice 1911 that is :cool::cool:
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Supporting Member

It would be a shame alright. I'm glad he changed his mind as it would be terrible to devalue that old 1911. :)
  6. Jackman

Jackman New Member

Yep thats how I think too,,

and for grcsat heres a pic of my 1911 with similar family history, it was my Grandfathers WWI service weapon it has been in the family since 1917 or so about its not as pretty as it originally was in fact its almost ugly and I briefly thought about re-bluing but changed my mind after lots of gentle l cleaning gave it a a nicer look thats fitting for an old war dog :cool:, I have added new grips only to preserve the old ones since I do shoot this 1911 . I also looked at a few restored vintage firearms and imop a 100 year old firearm that has the wear and tear of those 100 years is more appealing than the the same firearm that has the full restoration

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/uncle_sam134/715.jpg
  7. ivarr

ivarr New Member

consider mine another plea to leave the beautiful gun in it's current shape.
    just disassemble it, lube it up, and lock it away in a safe or bank vault box
  8. TinkerDave

TinkerDave New Member

If you have to do it, take a look at Doug Turnbull Restoration. They do a lot of 1911s and do them correctly. Still, if the collector value is there, I would leave it alone. TD
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Hey Grcsat, the gun on the bottom with the long sight rail, is that a Jon Giles rebuild 1911?
  10. whirley

whirley Member

Some low numbered pre 1914 Model 1911 Colts in "unrestored" condition have brought 5 figures at auctions. But it's yours, do as you will. Serial numbers are available on the internet!
    Remember, the blueing process technically is just controlled rusting.
  11. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Hi, This is a 1911 that was sent to me by the Colt Marketing Dep.
    What had happened was that the gun shop I was working for had been invited to the Canadian midwest gunsmith's picnic ( 1979 ) and my boss told me that there would be some competions and a lot of show and tell ect.
    Any way I was told to bring a 45 along so I could participate in some of the activitys. I didn't have a 45 for comp. ,so I called up one of the guys I went to school with who was working for colt at the time and told him what was happening.
    I sent him a check for $250 and thats the colt 45 he sent me.
    This 1911 was used for only one weekend and has never been fired since. It normaly sits in its original shipping box along with the original bill of sale.

I guess I should mention that in both slow fire and rapid fire , I came it dead last. lol
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

But look what you got instead. The reason I asked is because I just had a J Giles built colt. I know there were several that had the sight rib but the Giles guns you would swear they were on ball bearings. The slide was like steel on ice.
  13. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

I've never examined a J Giles built colt ,but have heard they are some of the best you can get. As for mine ,I think its nice but not as good as the Giles reputation.

What I would really like to have is the configuration I have now But with a 1 inch extended slide and barrel. ----Ah but we can only dream-- kinda like a short vertion of a long-tom slide
  14. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Me to. The only way I think I will ever get there is to build one though. I would love a long slide.
  15. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

Years ago I knew of people buyng rough cast slides from Numric arms and building thier own long slides , but haven't seen them for sale in a long time. The cost of doing that today must be outrages. Just the cutting , welding, milling and refinishing must cost a fortune. But I still like the idea.

Gary