The Firearms Forum banner

Reblue Colt 1911

Tags
12K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Helix_FR 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an old colt 1911 and thought I would like to get it reblued.

Now hears the problem, This 1911 has been in the family for eighty years plus.
It has been our house gun for longer than anyone can remember and has always served the family well. And I feel its time to retire the old girl because of her age and thought it would be nice to bring back the shine she once had.

Well I called the Colt people and asked if they could reblue it and they said sure.

Now hears the problem, when I gave them the serial no. C-7xxx ,they said no and wouldn't touch it.

Any thoughts ?

There is nothing wrong with this 1911 other than it needs to be reblued to bring her up to her former glory. Every thing is very clean and crisp and very little wear to any parts. She has about 50% original blue left.

#2 ·
From what I know, Colt 1911's that had a C prefix in the s number were contract guns or it may be a commercial gun built in 1914 based on those numbers (and the math adds up). They won't touch it for 2 reasons. 1 monetary value. You reblue it, the value takes a dive. 2 and some of the colt experts on this matter may correct me but they did not hot salts blue them like they do now. You may end up with a undesired color that looks nothing like the original. (I may be wrong on this but I've heard this a few times before. Don't know how credible the sources are:rolleyes:)

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Don't reblue the gun! Just shoot it some, and show it some love!
The colt is like a family member and thats why I don't mind spending $1000. to bring her back to her former glory. What I would really like is a true restoration blueing. Exactly the way she came from the factory.

She's being replaced by a brand new S&W 649. (found one new in box-unfired)

#6 ·
The colt is like a family member and thats why I don't mind spending $1000. to bring her back to her former glory. What I would really like is a true restoration blueing. Exactly the way she came from the factory.

She's being replaced by a brand new S&W 649. (found one new in box-unfired)
Its up to you, but most of the time reblueing will hurt the value. I know your not really concerned about value as much as bringing it back to life, but have you had it appraised? Some things may be better left alone.

#10 ·
I think I'm going to take the advice of this forum and put her away for a while. And no I haven't had her apprased and don't really care what she's worth. She's a part of my family's history.

Thank you --- everyone.

Now its time to brake in the S&W 649 and make her think she has a new home.

#11 ·
I think I'm going to take the advice of this forum and put her away for a while. And no I haven't had her apprased and don't really care what she's worth. She's a part of my family's history.

Thank you --- everyone.

Now its time to brake in the S&W 649 and make her think she has a new home.
Well, I know you dont really care about the value, but, we all get old and pass away. Your children and grandkids might thank you for leaving it alone. Its really none of my business what you do with it, I am just glad you respect it as much as you do. Best wishes.....

#12 ·
Well, I know you dont really care about the value, but, we all get old and pass away. Your children and grandkids might thank you for leaving it alone. Its really none of my business what you do with it, I am just glad you respect it as much as you do. Best wishes.....
great advise! I would hate to see a family member 30 years down the road sell it upon hard times and get 300-400 for a gun that may be worth 3000-4000. Because they don't know.

#13 · (Edited)
That is something I won't have to worry about. My girls have a lot of respect for family history.

I've put the old colt beside my documented P38. and all my family knows what that means. I guess my only worry ( lol ) is that they have threatened to have it buryed with me. Don't now if thats a good idea.

#14 ·
Get in touch with Turnbull restorations if you really want to bring it back to show glory. His restorations are top notch and believe me you won;t regret it. I know how you feel about seeing it a little out of shape, I am more of an aesthetics snob myself when it comes to older guns.
The website is turnbullmfg.com

#16 ·
Here's a couple of pics.
Sorry about the poor quality.
The first one is the old colt, serial no c-7xxx Please note the original grips were taken off and put into storage due to the checkering becoming flat from use.
And the next pic is of my other Colt that was given to me by the Colt Marketing Dep.

Attachments

#21 ·
It would be a shame alright. I'm glad he changed his mind as it would be terrible to devalue that old 1911. :)
Yep thats how I think too,,

and for grcsat heres a pic of my 1911 with similar family history, it was my Grandfathers WWI service weapon it has been in the family since 1917 or so about its not as pretty as it originally was in fact its almost ugly and I briefly thought about re-bluing but changed my mind after lots of gentle l cleaning gave it a a nicer look thats fitting for an old war dog :cool:, I have added new grips only to preserve the old ones since I do shoot this 1911 . I also looked at a few restored vintage firearms and imop a 100 year old firearm that has the wear and tear of those 100 years is more appealing than the the same firearm that has the full restoration

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/uncle_sam134/715.jpg

#26 · (Edited)
Hey Grcsat, the gun on the bottom with the long sight rail, is that a Jon Giles rebuild 1911?
Hi, This is a 1911 that was sent to me by the Colt Marketing Dep.
What had happened was that the gun shop I was working for had been invited to the Canadian midwest gunsmith's picnic ( 1979 ) and my boss told me that there would be some competions and a lot of show and tell ect.
Any way I was told to bring a 45 along so I could participate in some of the activitys. I didn't have a 45 for comp. ,so I called up one of the guys I went to school with who was working for colt at the time and told him what was happening.
I sent him a check for $250 and thats the colt 45 he sent me.
This 1911 was used for only one weekend and has never been fired since. It normaly sits in its original shipping box along with the original bill of sale.

I guess I should mention that in both slow fire and rapid fire , I came it dead last. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.